OT- daylight savings time

Page 2 of 4
Hrumph, I emailed that to my Senators and Representatives last year, and of course was ignored. When you include watches, vehicles, TVs etc I have 19 of those little suck-faces to reset twice/year. Only 3 are smart enough to do it themselves.
Leon wrote:

Finally - the clock in my shop is correct again!

As is my car.

Rob V wrote:

The shop in my clock is right twice a day, every day, all year round, with no need to ever changed it. Now that's efficiency!
DST changes are a PITA for me. We like clocks. Betcha I have more clocks than most folks... Let's see... 12. That's not counting clocks I never bother to set, like the VCR and microwave. Not counting watches either.
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:42:05 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

yeh. im a firm believer that we should change em by 1/2 hour ONCE and be done with this mess forever. skeez
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:42:05 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

Speaking of which, I was going to record the hour of TOH classics last night and the change got me. I got Nahm and half an hour of programmed crap instead. BUT...
Since it actually saves us money (the gov't using less oil to light their useless offices) I'm all for it. Granted, it's less effective than downsizing the gov't by about 80%, but it's here and it's working, so I'm in agreement with using it.
P.S: It's "daylight saving time", not "savings".
Source: http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/f.html
"I saw it on the Web. It _has_ to be true."
-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --------------------------------------------------------
Are you serious, about the government saving money by not lighting their offices? I can't remember the last time I saw lights turned off in any reasonably sized office, govern-mental or not, while people are working in them. Even in the summer, middle of the afternoon...
Course, I'm up here in Canada, so maybe we do things differently north of the border. And of course, up here, by the time December rolls around it's dark before we get into the office and it's dark when we leave. So switching to DLST accomplishes not much, as far as I can tell. And I don't mind switching clocks so much as trying to get the kids to adjust.
Clint
brought forth from the murky depths:

Got that right. I never really had much problem with local time anywhere in the world, even when I went from tomorrow back to today, except in Newfoundland, where they split the difference, and go with 3:30 from Greenwich.
Of course that's only one of the ways Newfies are deliberately and proudly different.
DST was designed for 45 degree latitude, and assumes less and less importance as you go north or south.

Half the year, I am an hour early, the other half, an hour late...

Somehow, I've been able to deal with it. Go figure.
-JBB

a deal as many of my fellow Hoosiers seem to think -- but it's a pain in the keister just the same, and you won't realize how big a nuisance it is, until you move to a state where you don't have to do it any more.
Beyond the nuisance factor, though, I wonder how much productivity is lost every year due to the semiannual time changes. Not just in the time spent changing clocks, either. I wonder about productivity lost due to people being late for work or missing a meeting because someone forgot to change a wristwatch or alarm clock. I wonder about mistakes made on the job by people who were shorted an hour of sleep in the spring, or the accidents they have driving to and from work.
Now here in Indiana, we don't have to worry about any of that stuff. Those who deride us as "old fashioned" misunderstand completely: by being one time zone ahead of our "natural" position, we're effectively on Daylight Saving Time all year -- placing us in the forefront of innovative time management. Together with Arizona and Hawaii, we are leading the nation into the 21st century. Join us! Call or write your elected representatives now! ;-)
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:12:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Eventually, it'll be a bigger pain for you than it is for us. Many time-keeping devices...and probably most in the future...now automatically make the change. All my computers changed over this year...without asking...as did many of my other electronic devices.

Those folks were fired a long time ago...and have been hired by off-shore companies. lol

The biggest hassle is for payroll departments...for people working the 11-7 shift.

Check the link I sent. Many folks in Indiana deal with the same problem as us...although not most counties as I stated.
And DST has nothing to do with time zones. If I'm correct, all time zones are affected by DST.
Have a nice week...
Trent

-05:00 Indiana (East)". Ditto for every other clock or appliance in the house.

The vast majority of the population of Indiana lives in counties that do not change. Fully one-fourth of the population lives in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Fort Wayne, South Bend, Kokomo, Anderson, Lafayette, Bloomington, and Terre Haute don't change time either.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. Each time zone within the United States, at least, has both standard time and daylight saving time at different times of the year. In every case, daylight time is one hour later than standard time. However, not every part of a given time zone observes daylight time -- Indiana and Arizona being a couple of examples.
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:11:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The time didn't change on your computer only because that's the way you have it configured to work...on 98.

I conceded that point...as I mentioned above.
But some counties in Indiana do adhere to DST.
Have a nice week...
Trent

No kidding, Einstein. My post makes that *very* clear. Glad *you* finally caught on.

No, that's not the point you conceded. Evidently, you haven't quite overcome your reading comprehension problem yet. Look at Cook County, Illinois to help you understand the difference between "most counties" and "majority of the population".

I've known that for a long time. Glad *you* finally caught on.

lol
Probably. Just looking at my subject headers it looks like you are carrying on quite a conversation with yourself!
Frank
Doug Miller wrote:

Except that the Navajo Nation which comprises a significant chunk of NE AZ, as well as portions of NM, UT, and CO does observe DST. If you plan on vacationing in the 4 Corners area, take a dual time zone watch. Sheeesh:)
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

I truly believe the biggest loss of productivity is in upsetting the circadean rhythm that that 1 hour change makes. I know it took me a couple of days, especially after the spring loss of 1 hour to really get back into the swing of things. I really do love not having to go through that adjustment twice a year now that we've moved to AZ.

AZ is *complicated* territory, with regard to the 'what time is it?' question.
Arizona does -not- go on DST.
The Navajo Nation, on the other hand, _DOES_. It sprawls into Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico, as well as Arizona, and they chose one standard for the entire area.
Then there's the Hopi Reservation, entirely _inside_ the Navajo Nation in Arizona. and they _don't_ go on DST. To match Arizona, I guess.
Driving on a straight North-South line, one can change 'time-zones' *FOUR* times, all _within_ the state of Arizona. Six times, if you count the changes -at- the AZ borders.

snipped-for-privacy@horatio.agresource.com says...

Wow, I've been here almost 5 years and didn't know that. Got my "learned something new today" out of the way a little late today. Thanks.