OT: BP - The tip of the iceberg

Eh, the vet said, "Think of it as a fine cheese."

Reply to
Steve

WHEN are you, Josepi, going to put your replies at the bottom of posts, like the other polite people in here?

Reply to
Robatoy

Huh? If nukes generated 100% of our electricity it wouldn't make a dent in our need for oil.

Yep. ...and storage sucks.

That still doesn't solve the transportation needs.

Reply to
keithw86

Right. The problems are political. Drill baby drill.

That's been the mantra of the Chicken Little society for a century.

Reply to
keithw86

Whale oil for lighting is a "renewable energy source."

Kerosene, however, proved to be (much) cheaper, more versatile, easier to store, transport, and use than whale oil. Kerosene was also not susceptible to the vagaries of the whaling season.

All of these reasons, except maybe the whaling season, are still in play when comparing other "renewable" energy sources with petroleum and coal.

To illustrate another point, does anybody watch ABC News?

Reply to
HeyBub

Clarification: Anything that has a half-life of 10,000 years is not all that dangerous. Anything that is (dangerous) has a half-life far shorter and is a fuel source itself. Thorium is also quite plentiful; enough for our needs for thousands of years. Another source usually forgotten is Plutonium. There's enough highly enriched Plutonium, now, to meet our electricity needs for a couple of centuries. That still doesn't get us transportation.

Reply to
keithw86

Yes, please.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I'd look at combining it with H (catalytically?) and using it as a feedstock for plastics production.

I wonder how much energy it takes to break the C from the O2?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Says the ostrich with its head in the sand :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

City boy, eh?

You need to get away from the boob tube and out and about in the country, around more "creatures", where you get to take care of some litters, flocks, and a herd or two ... it'll quickly rid you of that touchy feely, hollywood, anthropomorphic BS, totally unrealistic sentimentality.

Reply to
Swingman

Let me help with a rephrase.

Man is the only creature that knowingly fouls his own nest.

Reply to
Upscale

Sorry. I did not write the bottom quote.

Threading is bad in in some places.

Clarification: Anything that has a half-life of 10,000 years is not all that dangerous. Anything that is (dangerous) has a half-life far shorter and is a fuel source itself. Thorium is also quite plentiful; enough for our needs for thousands of years. Another source usually forgotten is Plutonium. There's enough highly enriched Plutonium, now, to meet our electricity needs for a couple of centuries. That still doesn't get us transportation.

Reply to
Josepi

Not my quoted text but...

We are learning as we go. Expecting perfection got us here.

On Jun 16, 4:39 pm, "Josepi" didn't write:

Reply to
Josepi

"Swingman" wrote

Yep, as a country boy myself, I often wonder how some of these city folks have managed to survive as long as they have.

True story.

I came to the big city, fresh off of the farm. I remember getting my fitst check and going to the grocery store to buy food for the first time in my life. I was totally puzzled by the little old ladies who would block every aisle with their carts. The world was moving too fast for them and they were going to slow it down a little. I was constantly moving their carts out of the way. And sometimes they got angry about it.

Why was this a mystery to a country boy? Simple, if you turned your back on or in any way was an obstacle to any kind of large (or beligerant) animal, you got mowed over. Or gored, horned, trampled or just brutally bumped. I remember when I was 5 years old. I turned my back on an angry cow. She charged me and got me in the lower back. She picked me up with her small horms and tossed me into the air. She then caught me on her horns and did it again.

She then charged me and tried to get me again. I ended up scrambling around, avoiding her. I got to my feet and ran from her. I NEVER turned my back on an irate animal again. Nor did I get in the way of any of them.

Fast forward 13 years later, I am trying to use my country boy skills and vigilance in a grocery store. It didn't work. But that ever present vigilance and acute periphial vision save my ass a few times.

Yep, I am a country boy too Karl. A tip of the hat to ya. And a little down home ecookin' too!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Apply the same logic in the city. You should have gien one of the ole' broad's a horn and they move real quick.

City handcuffs have no analogy though.

[...]

Y.O.U....A.R.E....T.O.P.P.O.S.T.I.N.G....A.G.A.I.N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Sorry. Blame Google.

Reply to
keithw86

More energy than was released when it got put there. TANSTAAFL.

Reply to
keithw86

No, I know what the alternative to energy is. Poverty.

Reply to
keithw86

I'm not bothering with attributes to quotes...

1) the ethylene-polyethylene process is reversible. This means that there is an untapped resource for fuel we're just burying in the ground where it will take forever to degrade/decompose. 2) the Fischer-Tropsh process has been used to make fuel from "almost nothing" (syngas) since before WW1. Apartheid South Africa was cut off from world crude feedstocks and make (literally) all its POL this way. see:
lektric dan