OT: BP - The tip of the iceberg

Batteries aren't going to work too well pulling produce or flying airplanes.

Reply to
krw

I didn't know that. I guess they just pass the costs on down the line. Trying to change human behavior is a tough problem. I wonder if the effective resistance is coming from a truckers union. I'm pretty sure that would be the case here in the US.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It used to be done.

Ditto.

If fuel prices are high enough, it will

BNSF alone caies 40% of the nation's freight.

Japan. Europe. China. All already do this for passenger travel. We are not the only ones on the planet.

Doable right now. Better batteries would make things easier. Run hybrids.

They will be and RSN.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Make them higher. Do you think trucks are paying anywhere near their fair share?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Do you mean pulling produce out of the ground, or pulling it across country? If the former, it could be done but natural gas would be better at this time.If the latter, electrify the rail lines.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Cross country.

CNG? You must be joking.

Nope. Rail will never get it to market before it spoils. Rail won't get it around the world, either.

Reply to
krw

Not at all. The US has a large supply.

It already does.

No, but ships do.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You've missed the point--trucks in the EU pay higher taxes than trucks in the US, and the EU is more likely to use trucks than the US, so what makes you think that yet more taxes will change this?

And why do you feel that it is necessary to make such a change anyway?

Reply to
J. Clarke

What benefit do you believe results from the use of natural gas? It comes out of the same kind of hole in the ground as oil you know. And it is not environmentally benign.

And are you going to pay the maintenance on those electrified rail lines?

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Jun 19, 7:41=A0am, "J. Clarke" wrote: .

If you need to ask that question, you should not be participating in this discussion.

Yes, we have all seen blobs of NG on the beaches.

We have all seen that thick, black smoke from burning NG, just like burning crude.

Well, whaddayaknow, another strawman.

Reply to
Robatoy

Trucks don't. The containers do.

RicodJour

So what? It's still can't be made dense enough to be usable for transportation.

Wrong. They even fly the stuff.

Not produce.

Reply to
krw

Not produce.

Reply to
krw

Ever hear of the Salad Bowl Express?

Reply to
Robatoy

Really?

I've seen dogs piss in their food dish, cats throw up in their food dish and beds. Some birds build their nests with bird shit.

Man might be the only creature that makes huge efforts to keep his nest clean, in fact, I'm pretty sure of it.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I have an idea, lets drill on land... drill baby drill.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Oil is used in almost everything from aspirin to band saw bearings, not just an efficient source of energy.

Batteries come to mind...

Not easy to make a cell phone or paint a bridge with air, or build a battery out of sun light either. The baby will be drilling for oil for all foreseeable future, so might as well drill on land, or shallow water where it's safest.

Most of the time it will be blowing too hard

Nothing wrong with wind power or sun power other than it doesn't work very well compared to oil. When it does, or if it does, no laws will be needed to force anyone to use it, just like no laws are needed to force people to use oil today...

But, we don't need to accept facts that are not facts. Right now, oil is abundant and efficient source of energy, among a few million other nice things, so, drill baby drill is the mantra.

Reply to
Jack Stein

But then again some humans really do not make any effort.

Reply to
Markem

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

What makes you think it won't, this is not Europe.

Reduce petroleum consumption.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser