OT: BP - The tip of the iceberg

Pulling crops out of the ground is not transportation.

Ever heard of "refrigerator cars"?

Yep. Ate oranges and bananas as a child in Scotland. They don't grow anywhere in the UK. Tell me I don't have to explain that the UK is a group of islands ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Trucks don't. The containers do.

Read all about it:

Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser

Reduces dependence on countries that do not like us at all.

Quite right. There's a documentary some where on the tube on Monday called "Gasland" which delves into just that.

Not me personally, no. Those who benefit will, so in that sense I'll pay my fair share. Just as electric lines pay/paid maintenance throughout history.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

If you need to ask that question, you should not be participating in this discussion.

Yes, we have all seen blobs of NG on the beaches.

We have all seen that thick, black smoke from burning NG, just like burning crude.

Well, whaddayaknow, another strawman.

------------------------------------------------------------- Shocking!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

So Americans are more likely to respond to high taxes than are Europeans?

To what purpose?

Reply to
J. Clarke

You're both loons. Natural gas works fine for transportation. Dunno whether they still do it with all the electronic engine controls and whatnot that they'd have to deal with today, but it used to be that the first thing any self-respecting gas company did with any vehicle they bought was convert it to run on natural gas, and they'd do the same for any customer's vehicle for a price.

You don't cook, do you? Some things can be kept refrigerated, others can't.

Some kinds of produce will survive that kind of treatment, others won't.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Who is "us"? I've been assuming that you are in the US. I was not aware that either Canada or Mexico "did not like us at all". It's the EU that gets most of its oil from the Middle East. The US gets most of its oil from Mexico and Canada.

In any case, natural gas comes from the same places oil comes from.

Through higher prices.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In other words you have no idea.

What do you believe is pushing the oil out of the hole in the gulf?

Have you ever actually seen natural gas fresh from a well burning?

In other words you aren't.

And I find it interesting that you have responded twice to this post, once reasonably and once as a smart-ass. Are you suffering from multiple personality disorder or are your children getting at your account?

Reply to
J. Clarke

that you want to impose a high highway tax to force the US to do. But once again it is shown that in the high-highway-tax EU railway frieght is not thriving. So your solution is to take a system that is working and make it more like one that is not working.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Are you telling me that there aren't aren't any benefits to burning natural gas over crude?

The bellows action of a few thousand feet of rock might exert pressure on a liquid body below it?

The smoke you see from a gas well are products other than NG. I burned millions of cubic yards of NG in 4 100MW generators without even a hint of smoke. My gas stove doesn't smoke. My furnace doesn't smoke.

Stupid assumption. You do not know this.

Seeing as your desperation has now forced you to include my children in a personal attack I have no choice but to tell you to go f*ck yourself

Reply to
Robatoy

Perhaps not, but it was what we were talking about. You want to pull them out of the ground, hire wetbacks. No electricity required.

Doesn't work for produce or most fruit. They'll (over) ripen in transit.

Try that with strawberries.

Reply to
krw

Bullshit. It's not dense enough and tanks weigh a *lot*. LP, sure, NG, nope.

For *short* range, sure. Like I said, LP is easy, though still not nearly as dense as gasoline or diesel. NG, not so much.

Some are flown because they cannot keep with ground transportation.

Reply to
krw

*Very* little produce goes by container.
Reply to
krw

If you have to ask, you need more educating than I'm willing to do.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Odd thing is California has been shipping fruit to the east coast since at least 1910.

Didn't need to. They grow there.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

And we pay market price.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The US has HUGE reserves of NG. We do not have HUGE reserves of oil. Figure it out.

Well, no. The Great Northern charged competitive freight rates.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

What other price would anybody pay? I'm sorry, but if you have a point you need to explain it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Which "Great Northern" would that be?

Reply to