Caulking with Copper?

A friend asked if there is any caulking product containing copper.... cuprous oxide. He wanted to experiment against termites, since termites tend to avoid copper. Anyone have any info, links, etc.?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

------------------------ Talk to SikaFlex tech service in Detroit.

They have an 800#.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't know about the product possibility that Lew mentioned but would welcome hearing anything arising. I've used copper napthenate solution, lining a slit trench with a plastic sheet and soaking wood in the trough. Not cheap, you can't paint over it well, it is herbicidal and, though it will give him maybe 10 years of resistance, it doesn't last forever. Look at "Timbor" too.

On caulks per se, what is he doing, is the wood new or old, will it be in the ground or in contact with water and does he want to paint over it? The climate exposure of the wood is another point. I've seen the ravages of a number of species of termites and never seen one eat any caulk. That being the case, what additional benefit does your friend anticipate from a cuprous additive in one?

You may not have ready answers to all the question marks but when your friend relays them, that is how he'll get a better response. Being a real fan of termites, there's a tribute file in another computer that may help further.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

You're right, Edward, I have no idea of his application parameters. I am familiar with Timbor, for powder post beetles. I would have never considered Timbor for termites, but it may be most appropriate when the termites are in their swarming stage.

Thanks for both replies. I'll try to get more info.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny