Reply to
kelly

guess it's baited and left tied by the rope on the left. I'd like to think it's an octopus trap, with sucker carvings on one piece to attract prey by sympathetic magic 8-)

#1958 Lock gate. Canal is gone, but you can see one bank behind.

#1959 Ring cutter to release fingers

#1960 Single or double-ended wad punch. Does it make circles or holes? I'm going to guess it's a high-speed manual tool for cutting musket patches two at a time, switching to a single cut for using up the offcuts.

#1961 Electric blower, for carefully distributing and controlling airflow, but what on earth for?

#1962 Bundle tier. Place the bundle of coppiced sticks (?) in the saddle, tighten them up with a strap and the ratchet winch on the left, then tie them up with string.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

1960- Swung like a hammer, makes wooden (or cork or leather?) plugs, have to assume the double end is for storing the 2 sizes not being used. 1962- rolls barrells? But can't think why they wouldn't by hand...

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Reply to
John Husvar
1957. i'd say it's a fish "hook/spear". like, standing on a platform over a salmon (for example, not sure exactly what kind of fish) stream, attached to the end of a spear that has a socket on it's end, plunge it onto a salmon, impales the salmon, becomes dislodged from the spear socket, haul the salmon out of the water by the attached cord.

Reply to
William Wixon

1957 -

1958 - One half of an OLD lock gate. Similar to the ones used on the Erie Canal, Clintons Ditch and a few others.

1959 - Ring cutter. Used to remove bands from a persons finger. I carry a newer one in my med bag.

1960 - It's an impact hole punch.

1961 -

1962 - Keg clamp I think.

Reply to
Steve W.

1957 - leather punch for making belts. 1958 - Cattle feed door. Wind the handle on the top, door on bottom opens and feed pours out. Wind handle again to close.

1962 - Wine keg turner.

Reply to
Dave

Yes, it's a ring cutter that was patented in 1900.

Reply to
Rob H.

I just updated the information on the web site for this tool to say that the holes on the ends are all about 1/2" diameter, not sure what size musket patches are but I was thinking that they were larger than that.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Fish hook is correct although it's not for salmon but for a different particular fish.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I think the chamfer on the outside edge indicates the circle removed is to be used, versus the hole in the material.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

I'm not sure about either of these questions but eels is not the answer that I was looking for.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

If I can guess twice, sturgeon or shad.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

1960 looks like it's for making wood dowels.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Nope, neither one of those.

Reply to
Rob H.

If not salmon, I'll guess halibut.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

are eels fish? do people catch eels with "hooks"?

Reply to
William Wixon

Good guess! It's a halibut hook.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It's a cylindrical tube, which may indicate a hole cutter. Disk cutters are often conical, for strength and easy piece clearance. Both sorts often have the sharpening chamfer on the outside, just because it's easier to sharpen that way.

Reply to
Andy Dingley