What is it? Set 363

Just posted a new set on the web site:

Rob H.
2090 - Look like soldering tweezers, but the type I've used had a sliding lock on the handles
Reply to
Bill

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

Rob, I'm tellin' you, it's a "topsy turvey". I've owned 'em. They have various wooden bodies and good ones always had metal spindles. Usually, they were pressed in rather than poured, but who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of real "metal men"?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It could be a top, that was one of my guesses when I first saw it, but then I showed it to some top collectors and none of them thought it was one. I just sent an email to the owner asking him to spin it upside down and see if it works like you suggest.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

The modern version is called a "tippe top", and it's one piece of molded plastic. Google that and you'll find some videos of them in operation (including one in very slow motion) and plans for making a wooden one.

Reply to
J. Clarke

They aren't tweezers but are used when making cars or planes or when working with sheet metal.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Just heard back from the owner concerning the possibility of number 2093 being a top or plumb bob:

It will not spin at all, it is too top heavy no matter if you start it with bronze tip down or up. It has no evidence of being attached to a string or chain. There is a small indention on the top but it is not centered which would be required for a plumb bob. It looks more like a small fragment that has chipped out. The casting is somewhat crude and would not provide precise balancing for a top. This area had a French settlement in 1750, Henry Guyan, a trader used the river for fur trading.

Reply to
Rob H.

How about a compass to trade to Indians? No expensive, easily damaged glass, case, or card. Just this hand-held pivot to go with a magnetized pointer.

Reply to
J Burns

The owner said that the metal is bronze but I don't know if he tested it with a magnet to make sure.

No answer yet for this one but answers for the rest of the set have been posted:

Rob H.

Because I read it's bronze, I thought it could make a good compass pivot. If it were steel, it could pick up magnetism when kept in a pouch with the pointer. That would be bad. Bronze would be immune to magnetism and I suppose corrosion. If the point got dull, I guess a woodsman could hone it sharp for minimum friction.

Reply to
J Burns

I see what you mean now, apparently I didn't read your post closely enough the first time. I'll pass this idea on to the owner, your compass theory is reasonable but will probably be difficult to prove one way or the other, which is also the case for most of the other guesses it. I don't think we'll get an answer for this one but I hope someone proves me wrong.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

For aligning holes in sheet metal prior to riveting?

Clecos would be better, but perhaps to reach an awkward place?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Maybe I could make a prototype to try. A nonmagnetic pivot should be easy. The pointer would be steel hard enough to magnetize. I'd make a dimple in the middle with a drill or a punch and bend the ends down enough so the center of gravity would be lower than the dimple.

Reply to
J Burns

I couldn't find a tool exactly like it on the web, the closest that I found was this patent for a similar tool:

Rob H.

Here is a home made version of a hole finder. There are commercial devices similar to the one here. They come in standard sizes to transfer hole position to overlapping sheet metal. I have a full set for standard rivet sizes up to 1/4 inch holes.

John

>> John

Looks like a good idea, thanks for the link!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

The compass idea reminds me of the prisoner-of-war compasses that I posted a while ago, one was made to look like a pen clip and I think the other was just a small bent piece of metal like you describe. I'm sure the item in question would function as a pivot but I wouldn't bet any money on that answer. ;^)

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.