What is it? Set 303

Just added a new set on the web site:

Rob H.

1730 part of the contact block for a 3 phase motor starter 1731 bush hog stump jumper and blades 1732 craniotomy pliers

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

the other side as a car opening tool (also works on beer). Not really very ergonomic, but it was designed by a guy in prison...

1730: Terminal block for a set of three brushes, used to transfer power to something rotating. 1731: Probably farm equipment 1732: another fence tool 1733: I'd guess some sort of cartographer's tool.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

(insert pen/point into pinch hole at left).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

1729 - One MEAN back-scratcher!

1730 - Not sure, looks like a contact strip from a contactor.

1731 - Large part is the stump jumper section of a bush hog. The levers are the blades. They swing out when in use.

1732 -

1733 -

1734 - Framing straightener?

Reply to
Steve W.

1729 - There appears to be an eye in the middle for a (rather slender) handle, which suggests this is a specialized sort of pick or hatchet. Is it possibly a tool for working with roofing slates? 1730 - I'd guess this is a brush part of a rotary electrical contact, for making a connection to something that rotates on a shaft. From the size, it's a fairly heavy-duty one, and may be from something along the lines of an amusement ride. 1731 - Part of a widowmaker lawn mower? 1732 - Some specialized tool for working with round things; I rather fancy it may be used to manipulate large electrical distribution wires around insulators or connectors. 1733 - Some sort of a gauge for measuring or laying out angles or slopes, maybe of guy wires for transmission towers and the like? 1734 - Wire fence stretcher or tightener?
Reply to
Andrew Erickson
1733 is the scriber used in a Leroy lettering set. It is the only one that I have seen that is adjustable. You can adjust the height of the letters as well as the slope. The rapidograph pen is inserted in the hole on the far left side and the point in the bottom center of the photo traces the letter that is cut into a flat plastic stencil. These were used as standard drafting tools several years ago.

Paul

Reply to
paul_bilodeau1

"Rob H." wrote

1729 blade of an ice axe? 1730 remindes me of old relay contacts 1731 Catapiler air intake??? 1732 clamp to pull beakers out of a furnace? 1733 some kind of drafting tool??? 1734 no idea
Reply to
Stephen B.

Yes, this is exactly right.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1279) Hmm ... is there a hole in the center for a handle? Or some kind of ridge to allow a handle to wrap around it and hold position? If so, I would think that this might be a tool used by firefighers for breaking into wood structures. 1280) This looks like a connector for some kind of object which slides under it. It makes connection for three wires to the object, whatever it is. 1281) For wrapping a hose around to keep it stored conveniently?

Another view or two might be quite helpful.

1282) Tool for gripping something round to remove it or to install it -- and other parts of the shape may be determined from the part at the other end of one handle. But I don't think that I've ever seen something which fits it. 1283) A rather specialized drawing tool. The slit gong through the small round hole looks about right for holding the pens used in lettering sets. The engraved lines act as some form of calculator to aid drawing something -- perhaps artillery related? 1284) For rotating something made of wood which is otherwise difficult to grip.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols