What is it? Set 326

Just updated the web site with a new post:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
1868 The indicator/dial from a water-clock (clepsydra).

1872 Adjusting stop for a window awning. Screwed to an outside window frame. Rod catches one of the notches to set the angle of an outside window awning.

that some of the awnings are adjusted at different angles.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

1868 water clock 1869 early breast drill
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

1868 - oil-lamp clock 1869 - some sort of auger or drill
Reply to
Doug Miller

1870 is a Tibetan Double Dorje
Reply to
Mouse

Mouse fired this volley in news:hmoidq$fcf$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Sumbitch! How the hell did you find THAT?

(good job!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The collective knowledge of the members of this group keep me coming back for more, even though the political rants are off-putting.

Reply to
Mouse

So it is - Wikipedia calls it a vajra.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Wedd

Aha... With the identification of 1870, I can now guess that:

1867 is a carrier for a Tibetan Dorje or Vajra.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1868 Oil clock. Float tracks the oil level, which goes down as the lamp (wick below) burns. 1869 Hand-cranked whirly thing, but no idea what for (farming the Mid West, I'll bet, but no idea which end of the cow you stick it in) 1870 Lightning bolt (stylised Buddhist one) 1871 Guessing it goes on the end of a pole and acts as some sort of ratchet hook? Maybe another patent cart or buggy jack? 1872 Part of a window opener for small fanlights. Screw on the wall, a loop hooks into the rack and can be adjusted up and down by a few inches.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

1871: A Peavey hoist, a crude but powerful version of a comealong. Works with heavy chain. Used in the woods to open the sluice gates of driving dams, among other things. The socket takes a long wood handle.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

1867 -

1868 - Looks like some type of clock since it has 12 steps.

1869 - OLD breast brace.

1870 -

1871 - Looks like a tire spreader to open a tire up so you can patch it. But it's probably something else.

1872 - Ratchet steps for either an awning or maybe a transom window.

Reply to
Steve W.

1867--Upside down? Looks like it could be a bumper on a vehicle. I even see some signs of collision in just the right spot. That it is engraved makes me rule out more-industrial purposes. Of course, I could be wrong... :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

1868--Reminds me of the device they use to measure the size of your foot in a shoe store (or a cobbler's shoppe?).

Bill

Reply to
Bill
1867 - cannon ball holder / loader 1868 - Religious something? 1869 - Cutoff valve handle turner? 1870 - what those other guessers said 8>) 1871 - Another Fire hose apparatus? Does the gauge in the picture have any significance? 1872 - I like the guess as that it would hold a awn> Just updated the web site with a new post:
Reply to
Michael Kenefick

characteristics at 18:00 hours; by the time the candle has burned to a nub, it's 06:00 hours.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Correct

Yes, it was for use by miners.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

According to the patent it was made for something other than what you suggest, but you're correct that it works with a heavy chain.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
1871: A early version of what my dad called a "binder", an over center take up used with chains to tie down a load on the bed of an 18 wheeler.

Still very much in use today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The patent says it's for another purpose, something that I've posted numerous times before.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.