New web site: tablesawalignment.com

Hi Folks,

I just launched a brand new web site devoted to nothing but table saw alignment, adjustment, and accessories. It's in blog format so member participation and contribution is welcome! The goal is to promote the best practices to help woodworkers improve their machinery skills.

No spam

- No selling

- No advertising (really, no banners, no pop-ups, no floaters, etc.)

- No dealer sponsorship

- No cost

- No obligation

Registration is necessary. It keeps out spammers and spambots, promotes serious participation, and helps me to announce new articles and features (for those who don't subscribe to the RSS feed). The process is as quick and easy as I can make it.

Currently I have posted most of the articles on alignment. Soon I will start posting adjustment articles and reviews on accessories. In the future I will be launching other sites, each of which will focus on other popular (and often frustrating) woodworking machines.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Silliness. Registration to submit blog articles may accomplish your objectives of keeping out spammers and spambots, but there is no rational reason to disallow read-only access to the blog to unregistered users.

The target space is so small that you should be encourging access to our articles, particularly as they are simply vehicles to advertise your products.

This reminds me of the refrigerator magnet store at the mall of america; useful to a very small subpopulation, and only viable because it is exposed to so many shoppers at once. By limiting access to registered users only, you are only doing yourself a disservice.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I appreciate your comments Scott. Don't think I haven't already consider everything you said.

I'm using Wordpress for the blog software and registration doesn't keep out spammers or spambots. A program can be written to fill in the registration form with bogus info. Then the spammer or spambot is free to do their thing. My password protection requires a valid email address so that the user can receive a message containing a link to a validation page.

This has become a real problem for blogs and forums lately. Some of the solutions being discussed involve using OS password protection on the entire blog subdirectory. I think my solution is better. In addition to keeping out spam, it helps me to manage disruptive hecklers and send notifications to users who don't subscribe to the RSS feed.

I was concerned that registration would scare off a lot of people but the site has only been live for a couple of days and already has dozens of registrations. Google analytics says that more than 50% of visitors are registering (all the way through to the verification page). Based on these results I think my concerns were unwarrented. Apparently, it's not too much of a hurdle to overcome if you are really serious about making the most of your table saw.

It's true, I am hoping that these machinery specific sites will help to improve my business. I make no effort to hide the fact and even say so right on the home page. But, the primary focus is to help woodworkers to improve their machinery skills. If you visit the top five pages (identified by Google) for table saw alignment (links listed at the bottom of the page) you'll see why I think my site will be appreciated by serious woodworkers. And, as I start publishing articles on accessories, it will no longer exclusively feature my products.

I encourage you to check it out and see if it's really worth registering for. If at any time you regret having registered, then post it here and tell everyone why.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

Reply to
Ed Bennett

I have heard of the spamming, phishing, and other problems you are talking about on a couple of other boards. Namely the barbecue board I like and WoodCentral. The level of sophistication of auto generating names for access is to me, mind boggling.

Worse, some punk ass can spam your site with links to malware or viral sites, but more likely some site covered up with spyware.

Seems pretty fair.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Hi Folks,

Just a reminder about my new web site:

addition to all the articles on table saw alignment, I've recently added a couple of new articles that might be of interest:

Review: Wixey Fence Digital Readout On-going series: Rebuilding of a Contractor's saw

I've also updated the Trunnion Alignment procedure based on reader feedback. It's more accurate and easier. I just received a "Digital angle finder" from Lee Valley today and will be posting that review soon.

Anybody care to offer any feedback? Was the registration process worth the effort? Did anybody get spammed? Hounded by advertisements? Let me know.

Thanks, Ed Bennett

Ed Bennett

Hi Folks,

Just a reminder about my new web site:

's a "members only" web site that requires registration but everyone is invited to join. It is devoted to nothing but table saw alignment, adjustment, and accessories. It's in blog format so member participation and contribution is welcome! The goal is to promote the best practices to help woodworkers improve their machinery skills.

- No spam

- No selling

- No advertising (really, no banners, no pop-ups, no floaters, etc.)

- No dealer sponsorship

- No cost

- No obligation

The latest article is a review of the Lee-Valley Digital Angle Finder. Unlike reviews on other sites and in magazines, you won't find me resorting to test cuts, plastic drafting triangles, or any other such nonsense. I don't use vague terminology like "...it seemed pretty accurate to me". Instead, you'll find actual measured test data with statistical analysis and a summary of what it means to the woodworker looking for accurate angle measurement.

Coming soon is the next installment on the contractor's saw rebuild - disassembly and resurfacing of the top. I also have a review of the Wixey Digital Angle Gauge just about ready to publish.

Anybody care to offer any feedback? Was the registration process worth the effort? Did anybody get spammed? Hounded by advertisements? Let me know.

Thanks, Ed Bennett

Ed Bennett

Hi Folks,

The latest article on tablesawalignment.com is a review of the Wixey Digital Angle Gauge. Unlike reviews on other sites and in magazines, you won't find any test cuts, plastic drafting triangles, or other such nonsense. There is no vague terminology like "...it seemed pretty accurate to me". Instead, you'll find actual test data based on certified accurate instruments and a summary of what it means to the woodworker looking for accurate angle measurement.

's a "members only" web site that requires registration but everyone is invited to join. It is devoted to nothing but table saw alignment, adjustment, and accessories. It's in blog format so member participation and contribution is welcome! The goal is to promote the best practices to help woodworkers improve their machinery skills.

- No spam

- No selling

- No advertising (really, no banners, no pop-ups, no floaters, etc.)

- No dealer sponsorship

- No cost

- No obligation

Thanks, Ed Bennett

Ed Bennett

I have no idea what those folk have to say about the Wixey, but:

I have one and until I used it I never knew my saw was 1 degree off = vertical.

Need one say more about this little gizmo that works??

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

I feel it was worth reading.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Hi Folks,

Sorry, tablesawalignment.com is down right now. It is under a "denial of service" attack. Apparently someone doesn't want anybody reading the site. The hosting service is tracking down and isolating the source. Hopefully it will be up later today.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@tablesawalignment.com

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Hi Folks,

The latest article on tablesawalignment.com is the second in a series on rebuilding a contractor's table saw. In this episode the saw is completely disassembled and inspected. You can find this article, along with all the others at:

's a "members only" web site that requires registration but everyone is invited to join. It is devoted to nothing but table saw alignment, adjustment, and accessories. It's in blog format so member participation and contribution is welcome! The goal is to promote the best practices to help woodworkers improve their machinery skills.

- No spam

- No selling

- No advertising (really, no banners, no pop-ups, no floaters, etc.)

- No dealer sponsorship

- No cost

- No obligation

Please post your questions and comments.

Thanks, Ed Bennett

Ed Bennett

Hi Folks,

Have you ever had trouble getting the right blade tilt angle on your table saw? Well, I just finished a new article on tablesawalignment.com that compares the use of three different instruments for setting accurate blade tilt. You can find this article, along with all the others at:

's a "members only" web site that requires registration but everyone is invited to join. It is devoted to nothing but table saw alignment, adjustment, and accessories. It's in blog format so member participation and contribution is welcome! The goal is to promote the best practices to help woodworkers improve their machinery skills.

- No spam

- No selling

- No advertising (really, no banners, no pop-ups, no floaters, etc.)

- No dealer sponsorship

- No cost

- No obligation

Please post your questions and comments.

Thanks, Ed Bennett

Ed Bennett

Hi Folks,

Inspired by my table saw rebuild project, members have begun to pursue their own adventure. So, I have created an article on tablesawalignment.com to host their stories. I just finished posting the first one. Joe Gratzl solved some design issues in his low cost import contractor's saw and now it works better than ever!