New Orchid Web Site

just completed my first web site for orchids and invite you to visit. Krull-Smith is the orchid business of Frank Smith who is one of the world's most highly awarded orchid breeders.

Enjoy,

Bobby

Reply to
Happy Moose

You really need a "Next Page" button on each catalog page! No need to go back to the home page to get to each catalog page one at a time. Very annoying!!!

Ron H.

Reply to
Ron H

The same menu system is on every internal page of the web site. There is no need to go back to the homepage if you simply use the navigation menu in the left column.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Bobby

Reply to
Happy Moose

It is not intuitive. Who would guess that one has to click "Alliance"? There should be a next page button instead.

Reply to
Travis M.

I think Ron H. is complaining about navigating the 'Printed Catalog', and I agree the current 'page number' setup is awkward. After viewing a page you must return to the 'Printed Catalog' button, then select a page group button, then a page by number. It would be much easier to view the catalog if there was a 'next' or 'previous' navigation system on each page. Then it would be more like paging through a printed catalog.

I find the 'All Pages' approach easier to use, since the page numbers are meaningless to me. But there still ought to be an option on each catalog page to move to the next or previous page without having to return to the 'All Pages' display. I recommend eliminating the navigation by page number, with the 'Printed Catalog' button bringing up the page now called by the 'All Pages' button, and of course allowing navigation to the next or previous page as Ron H. has suggested. While I'm handing out unsolicited advice, I'll also recommend making the list of alliances easier to read by increasing contrast of the lettering from the background. Further, Bobby could make it easier for buyers by putting 'add to cart' buttons on the catalog pages, instead of requiring that people move to the alliance pages to place orders.

The 'Alliance' navigation matter is something else, however. Those pages list offerings within an alliance. When you are done viewing the offerings from a given alliance, it makes perfect sense to return to the menu to select a different alliance. A 'next page' button here wouldn't help. For orchid enthusiasts, who know what the word 'alliance' means, the current setup to move from alliance to alliance IS intuitive. I doubt it is all that difficult for neophytes to grasp, also.

But regardless, it is great to see the nice photos of Krull-Smith's orchids. Many years ago I bought a number of orchids (mostly brachypetalum paph hybrids) from K-S and was delighted with them. Regrettably, they and all my other orchids died when I nearly did and couldn't tend to them.

Reply to
maxsilverstar

MaxSilverStar,

Thank you for your recommendations. I also picked up on Travis' diversion from the original poster.

I have completed adding a simple navigation bar so that all the "printed catalog pages" can now be accessed without having to use the primary navigation system. I think this will work better than adding a "next page" button to those pages.

I have also amended the title for the top-level alliance button in the primary navigation system, and I changed the wording in the text below the primary navigation system. Also, relating to the primary navigation system, people should able to see the bold text indicating what portion of the web site they are in as the traverse the entire site.

I do not see anyway to improve or simplify the the presentation on the homepage of the site.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I welcome these offerings regarding any of my gardening sites that are linked from my portal at

Baxter Happy Moose Web Design

Happy Moose