Repairing a Flintlock Pistol Stock

I have a flintlock pistol with a 9" hexagonal barrel. The side of the barrel channel in the stock was cracked in shipment, probably because the barrel was not in the stock.

The gun is from a CVA kit, and the wood is probably beech.

What would be the best glue to use to repair this stock?

I have some Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Interior.

Would epoxy be better? If so, what brand and speed (working time)?

Thanks.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

Take a look at the URL below.

It covers T-88 from System 3.

Lew Hodgett

Return it for replacement if you can, epoxy it if you can't. The side of the channel isn't a stress area, unless you plan to throw it, so use any decent brand of 5 minute epoxy. Once you start down the slippery slope of muzzle loaders, you'll eventually end up at a rendezvous, which will result in a torrential downpour making you glad you used a waterproof glue.

Have you spark tested the lock yet? Throwing it might become an option. BTDT, had a shirt but used it for patching. Try a knapped black flint wrapped in lead in the c*ck, put a wedge in the corner of the mainspring to increase tension, and lastly recase the frizzen if the first two things don't work. Those are the easy (cheap) fixes.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

I'd try giving CVA a call and see if I could order a new stock.

Nova