Wood Filler Question

For the things I do, I seldom use wood filler. And when I do, I normally make my own, with glue and sawdust. However.

Some years back I made a set of revolver grips for a house gun. I used some wood filler from a batch of sfuff my mother gave me after my dad died. And, of course, I tossed the empty can, so don't know where it was bought, or the brand.

I formed the grips by putting a batch on each side of the revolver but, wrapped it with saran wrap, and rought formed it with my hand. When it dried, it looked like two solid pieces of rough carved light colored wood. I sanded and rasped it to shape, but needed to add some in places. Whan the additions dried, you couldn't even tell they had been added, still looked like solid pieces. I repeated that until I got them perfect, thumb rest, fringer grooves, et al, it would be right on wherever I pointed it, perfect for a defense gun. Looked like an expertly carved set of wooden grips. Probably should have stained them, but left them light. Wish i'd kept that gun. Big sigh.

I've tried several different bought fillers since, for various projects. Probqbly the best was the stuff I used on t he pistol grip of my squirrel rifle, and I didn't consider it that great.

I'm considering another set of grips, for a camp gun this time, and I'd like to do them good So, I'm wondering if any of you have run aross a wood filler that could be what I described above. If so, what was the brand? Going by the brands i bought and tried, if I can't find the good stuff, I'll probably mix some up on my own.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Howdy,

Was the stuff you used a single component (that is, scoop some out and use it) or did it have two components (mix the stuff in the tube with the stuff in the can, then use it)?

I ask because I have a used a two component product called Minwax High Performance Wood Filler with great results and I suspect you could use it in the way you have described.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Wed, Dec 19, 2007, 11:54pm snipped-for-privacy@soleSPAMLESSassociates.com (Kenneth) waves and queries: Howdy, Was the stuff you used a single component

Yep.

JOAT My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Reply to
J T

Sounds like it might have been DAP's Plastic Wood

Reply to
Jack Casuso

Thu, Dec 20, 2007, 8:36am snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Jack=A0Casuso) doth sayeth: Sounds like it might have been DAP's Plastic Wood

Tried it. Nope.

JOAT My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Reply to
J T

I've used thermosetting plastic putty with great results. You can find it in crafts stores and online under names like Fimo and Sculpy. It's easily formed by hans; you can drill, sand, paint it just like wood. It takes just a few minutes at about 250 to set the plastic.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Was it water putty?

Frank Campbell

The classic materials for molding odd shapes are auto body putty (probably a two-part item) and modeling compounds like Fimo (which bake to harden), and of course plaster of paris. I don't know that any of them stick well to wood, though.

Reply to
whit3rd

Fri, Dec 21, 2007, 12:50am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ug.the.orc (Smaug=A0Ichorfang) doth sayeth: I've used thermosetting plastic putty

I'm not interested in plastic.

Fri, Dec 21, 2007, 6:30am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nospamshaw.ca (Frank=A0Campbell) doth ask: Was it water putty? No.

JOAT My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Dec 20, 2007, 11:18pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (whit3rd) =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The classic materials for molding odd shapes are auto body putty (probably a two-part item) and modeling compounds like Fimo (which bake to harden), and of course plaster of paris. I don't know that any of them stick well to wood, though.

Yes. And, I'm not interested in any of those.

JOAT My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:21467-476B75CE-44@storefull-

3332.bay.webtv.net:

Well, the other thing I was going to suggest is DAP(?) Plastic Wood filler. It has a very strong tolulene smell. I thought I haad a can here, but it mush have dried out and been tossed. Now I use Elmers Fill n Finish, a water-based wood filler.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Fri, Dec 21, 2007, 9:52am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ug.the.orc (Smaug=A0Ichorfang) doth sayeth: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I'm not interested in plastic. Well, the other thing I was going to suggest is DAP(?) Plastic Wood filler. It has a very strong tolulene smell. I thought I haad a can here, but it mush have dried out and been tossed. Now I use Elmers Fill n Finish, a water-based wood filler.

It's not an immediate need. I'll check around a bit more. But may well see what I can come up with on my own.