Wood filler

I seem to remember hearing that a low cost substitute for wood filler is dry wall "mud". Anybody ever hear of this and is mud different that tape joint compound? I believe you can add either acrylic (oil) or water based pigments to turn it into a replacement for filler.

When I say filler, I am referring to filling in the grain on open pore woods such as mahogany or oak to achieve an ultra smooth finish. I believe the filler goes on after the staining and sealing processes are complete, but I have to go back to the books to check this out. Any recommendations on books?

I'm building a coffee table out of mahogany ($$$) and want it to look great when finished.

TIA

Dustmaker

Reply to
Dustmaker

I have taken drywall mud, and mixed it with acrylic paint (water based) to fill the grain on woods that I was going to paint. Paint it onto the wood, sand smooth (it will sand very smooth), then paint for a great finish. Not sure if I'd be brave enough to use it on a hardwood that I was not painting.

Reply to
Mark in Maine

Take a look at the Mc Feeley catalog and the Crystalac clear pore filler and save yourself a few headaches.

Reply to
Mike G

You're building a coffee table out of mahogany ($$$) and want it to look great and are trying to save a dollar on filler?

Mud shrinks more than good wood fillers.

Reply to
ddinc

The voices in the head of "Dustmaker" caused Dustmaker to write in news:4005a8a9$0$6738$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

There are several compounds for drywall; jointing finishing interior exterior adherance, to name a few.

You'd need to check the specs of the packet in consideration. I've used it to fill holes in my sister's house - hardwood exterior and it has been there for around 6 years with no noticeable deterioration. My carpenter friend says it can be used but not on the exterior since it tends to crack with expansion etc. I was pretty fussy with preparation and painting so that might account for the longevity.

Reply to
Goat Tosser

You're right! I'll experiment later with the wood filler on some Oak plywood. I'll order some of the right stuff from one of the more highly regarded suppliers.

Dustmaker

Reply to
Dustmaker