OT: Black Friday

Page 1 of 3
Just a reminder for those who are stupid enough to stand in the cold at 4:00am waiting for some idiot mall or big-box store to open for Friday's hoped for binge of consumer excess. Read the labels! This is where your money is going:
http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20080513-64857.html
Which is what this was about: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7941425.stm
There is a reason that Harbor Freight tool is $20. (Aside from it being marginal garbage to begin with...)
Now let's go shopping! <ugh>
This morning's news consisted of minute by minute updates on traffic patterns to all the local malls and WalMarts, constant reminders to hit the stores before the crap is gone, and everybody on the air wants a new big screen with a life span of < two years. Baaa aaa aaa aa.
Perhaps it's just me, but I find this all utterly disgusting. Just call me Scrooge, 'cause I'm not spending one thin dime on anything imported - leaving cigarettes, booze and hookers. Ho, ho, ho, indeed. :)
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20080513-64857.html
So whose computer are you using, since you refuse to own one.
J. Clarke said:

3ghz x2/p45/4gb/nv9500/dual 320gb HDD/single DVD/CDR at $320. Last year and the first in 8 years. I assemble my own computers, and the MB and most parts were manufactured in Taiwan. The CPU is Malay, drives from Thailand and S.Korea. And if I could I would exclude several of the latter as well as I don't condone exploitation, dictatorships, slave and prison labor, or baron economics.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

In other words you lied about not spending one thin dime on anything imported.
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 03:39:59 -0500, the infamous Greg

So, you're saying "I make my living off the backs of others, but I don't take _joy_ in it...all the way to the bank.", eh?
OK. (:-\
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

The CPU was packaged in Malaysia, it was likely made in the US (if Intel, Germany if AMD).

But you do.

http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20080513-64857.html
Been a while since you got any?
Greg G. wrote:

Sigh. When each nation does what it does best, and freely trades with other nations, all the people benefit. Adam Smith in his "Wealth of Nations" settled all this hash in the 18th Century.
If I've got $6.00, I can buy a U.S. made hammer. Or, I can buy a Chinese-made hammer for $3.00 and have money left over for nails (also made in China)!
The latter condition has to be better than the former.
HeyBub said:

A simple minded treatise from the 18th century is hardly convincing of anything. We're not talking Swiss chocolates, BMWs and Cannolis here. This is not free commerce between two similarly developed countries.
In 1985 we sold China $3,855.7M and imported $3,861.7M. A -6M deficit. Not so bad...
In 2008 our trade deficit with China was -268,039.8 Million. Exporting $69,732.8M and importing $337,772.6M. Dude, they're not buying whatever it is we're selling...
But, with that scenario in mind, what are we best at? What can or do we sell to the world? Crooked bankers, bad debt, and war machinery? Con men? Corn and wheat? Cigarettes? Oh, happy day.
How about something a bit more recent and to the point: From the United States Business and Industry Council's Alan Tonelson, "The Race to the Bottom: Why a Global Worker Surplus and Uncontrolled Free Trade are Sinking American Living Standards."

Great, a pot-metal hammer and a box of galvanized nails that rust and the heads pop off of. Good stuff! Been there, tried that junk.
Yet what I no longer have is an employed neighbor, another foundry, and a quality product produced by an accountable company due to its residence and reachability on home soil. What I do have is another dictatorship funding its barons and nuclear military expansion with western consumer dollars. Smart.
Greg G.
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:28:55 -0500, the infamous Greg

WTF does either of those articles have to do with shopping?

I bought batteries and pillows this morning. BF no mo!
-- Q: How many climate scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. There's a consensus that it's going to change, so they've decided to keep us in the dark.

It was a suggestion that you avoid imported crap while doing so - use your imagination. Sorry to burst your happy-go-shopping mindset. :) Yet good luck finding anything that isn't imported crap.
Seriously, 85% of the content of the average shopping cart comes from China, another 10% from other assorted Asian dictatorships. Those $60 Nikes you're so fond of are produced by teenagers in a sweat shop for a cost of $4. And the underwear, socks, tools, TVs, lamps, clothes, throw rugs, iPods, phones, computers, batteries... If you are not of the investor class you are dead meat and by your own hands.

I bought booze, cigarettes, a chili-cheese dog, and twins. :) And put a half dozen US citizens to work.
Greg G.
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 03:39:32 -0500, the infamous Greg

I've bought plenty of American-made stuff at the evil Wally World. (hardware, paint, fabrics, food, etc.) And there is no way anyone can buy entirely US-made. Pandora's Box has been opened and Free Trade is here to stay, so why fight it? <shrug>

Where'd you get your stats? Cites, please. The Duracells I got were made in the USA. The Serta pillow shells were made in China, but the fiberfill was US made and finish work was done in the USA, probably by illegal _immigrants_ in a _sweatshop_ in Commerce, CA. Are you happy now, Greg? ;)

OK, all those people in the sweat shops are happy to have above-average wages, while some are just happy to be working. Underwear and socks are all made on machines, not by hand.
I wear $30 Reeboks, btw.

Ooh, got pics of the twins? Teens or older women?

Are you certain about that? Let's see, booze made in TN by hillbillies (then packed/trucked by illegals), cigs machine-made after being harvested by illegal aliens, chili made by illegal aliens in US sweat-kitchen, dogs made with horse/pig/goat/cow/chicken castoffs--by illegals and inbred Arkansans (like Clintoon), buns made by 'Murricans. OK, I'll give you one of those. You hadn't thought about your purchases in much depth, had you?
So, how much better off is our country after adding in your fine shopping habits yesterday, sir?
Damned Yuppies.
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
David Nebenzahl said:

Ah, Well - it worked for McCarthy. Not "upset" over that incident, but of our ignorance in general. Amazing how we've gone from massive military buildups against the "evil commies" of the Soviet Union to handing over our entire financial integrity and manufacturing base to the "evil commies" of China. But seriously, do you really think they intend to leave Taiwan alone once their toy ships and bases are finished? Do you think that the DoD doesn't consider the massive buildup of military prowess to be a concern? The point is, why are we voluntarily doing this to our financial and security well being. It's a bad thing, and certainly not worth a box of half-priced crap nails that the heads pop off of, or a buggy of crappy tainted plastic toys.

Everyone break out the flowers and sing Kumbaya. World peace is here! We vilify Iran and N. Korea, and even Iraq for far less ostentatious displays of military and nationalist focus. Are all those western dollars (and debt) injected into their economy softening their official rhetoric? Not even. And this has little to do with the citizens of China, they are mostly victims as well.
So, let me see if I understand the public's position on this. It's Dems/Repubs/God's fault for a declining economy and unemployment, but we ignore the root source of the problem which is massive outsourcing to third world countries while maintaining a persistant 6-1 negative trade balance. Hmmm... Interesting.

I could care less about adjudication of the incident. Only pointing out that they are investing huge amounts of money into military buildup, and the US is trying to collect additional intelligence.

I have no doubt we were, and why we were confronted. Yet I would think some 200 more nukes floating around the world's seas would be something to be concerned about.
But that's OK - go fill up your Borg cart with junk that offers no employment opportunities to your neighbors in foreclosure and is used by the recipient for militaristic buildups which will result in a counter by our own forces. Everybody's happy! Well, the mil-contractors, import barons, and bankers are, anyway. Suckers.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Communist China poses no threat to Taiwan.
The most cowardly thing in the world is money. Any overt military action by China and all the world's trade with China disappears and the country collapses into chaos.

Moving money around in a closed economic system does not create wealth - it merely redistributes it. In the fullness of time, a small group of clever individuals own most of the wealth while the general population is impovorished, OR, with sufficient governmental intervention, everybody is roughly equal. The downside of the latter is that anything the government does destroys wealth, never creates any, so the end result is that everybody is destitute.
As for your claim that imported products offer no employment opportunities for one's neighbors, consider the largest private employer in the world: Walmart.

<spits coffee all over monitor> Sounds like one of those SAT questions...."Walmart is to Employment Opportunity as: __________ is to ____________ ."
Maybe someone can fill in the blanks? I've got a couple ideas, but they aren't well enough formed yet for publication.
Carry on.
JP
On 11/28/2009 6:01 AM Jay Pique spake thus:

Walmart is to employment opportunity as San Quentin is to educational advancement.
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

With an attitude like that it's no wonder we have generations of freeloaders.
Jay Pique wrote:

As you know, Chicago doesn't allow Walmarts. About four years ago, Walmart opened a store across the street from Chicago in a neighboring city of Evergreen Park. The company advertised for 350-400 employees.
They got 25,000 job applications.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id 286
Evidently tens of thousands of folks thing that Walmart is a great job opportunity.

Evidently, tens of thousands of folks think the drug trade is a great job opportunity. Are you going to be as quick to jump on that bandwagon?
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

No they don't. According to "Freakonomics," most drug dealers live with their mothers because they can't afford a place of their own.
The authors of the book theorize that, for drug dealers, it's the possible, though small, probability of a HUGE payoff if they rise high enough in the ranks (just like many of their contemporaries think the might have a shot at the NBA), that entices many into the drug trade.
Personally I think it's the hours that makes the job attractive to so many. That, and standing in the community.