OT: A Message From the Rural Midwest

Page 2 of 4
Tom Watson wrote:

Ahhh, the daze of my yout, seeing Russell Bliss out spraying the roads of Time Beach with waste oil.
http://syngen2.chem.brandeis.edu/~walker/timesbch.html
Ignorance was Bliss.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–

When I was a little tyke I would ride my bike past the Wyeth Laboratories facility. If the wind was right I'd get a misty coating of this stuff that made my face feel like peach fuzz.
That'll prolly show up some day on an xray.
When I got a little older I worked in a paper mill for a bit. The chemicals that were used in the pulp beater used to make my skin break out in a rash.
That might be one of the reasons my skin is so bumpy in spots.
Then, when I first started doing carpentry, I would cut asbestos backer boards for fireplaces: no mask.
You can bet that's waiting for me down the road a piece.
I once sprayed some poly in my one car garge/shop, while the kerosene heater was running. An open flame in a room where poly is being sprayed does funny things to the poly vapor.
That was the first time I got bronchitis. Now I get it every couple three years.
I got more careful over the years and use a good organic vapor repirator now but I've sprayed a lot of nitro lacquer and I've noticed a bit of a tremor in the last few years. They say nitro is a little rough on the CNS. I believe them
So, ya see, that goddamned road oil don't scare me even a little bit.
It can stand in line with all the rest.
(pour me some more of that third red eye, barkeep, and pass me them cigarettes - I don't guess it really matters much no more - sigh...)
βœ–

One of Larryjaques' T-shirts says it all: "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
brought forth from the murky depths:

"Corn? Now we can make whisky!"

Newp. That's a sig file, to wit...
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's "Whiskey", gotdamnit !
"Whiskey is a shortened form of usquebaugh, which English borrowed from Irish Gaelic uisce beatha and Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha. This compound descends from Old Irish uisce, “water,” and bethad, “of life,” and meaning literally “water of life.” (It thus meant the same thing as the name of another drink, aquavit, which comes from Latin aqua vtae, “water of life.”) "
http://www.bartleby.com/61/32/W0123200.html
Now, I'd not be the one to cut out my fellow Celts but;
THE IRISH INVENTED WHISKEY AND POETRY AND EVERYONE WHO SAYS, "NAY", BE DAMNED !
I don't know what yer Gauls pray to but the Gaels pray to whiskey and we do not like to see our religious heritage trifled with in such a tawdry way.
I've a friend who call Courvoisier, "French Whiskey", but I suspect him of being both drunk and Italian.
Oy !
βœ–

Chesterton:
"His harp was carved and cunning, His sword prompt and sharp, And he was gay when he held the sword, Sad when he held the harp.
For the great Gaels of Ireland Are the men that God made mad, For all their wars are merry, And all their songs are sad."
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
βœ–
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:53:29 -0600, Dave Balderstone

"And the man was come like a shadow, From the shadow of Druid trees, Where Usk, with mighty murmurings, Past Caerleon of the fallen kings, Goes out to ghostly seas.
Last of a race in ruin-- He spoke the speech of the Gaels; His kin were in holy Ireland, Or up in the crags of Wales.
But his soul stood with his mother's folk, That were of the rain-wrapped isle, Where Patrick and Brandan westerly Looked out at last on a landless sea And the sun's last smile. "
see supra
On a happier albeit less classical note:
"I am a young fellow that's fond of my fun, And Ferlin in Derry is where I've begun. All over the country, I've spent all my cash. With Kitty and Ginny and Mary McNash. My father disowned me for being such a rake. And for spending my time in such frolicksome ways. The girls, they are sweet, but I'll have you all know That my first love in life is the pure whiskey, oh! Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day.
If I chance for to go to the town of Kildare All the girls all around me they flock on the square Some bring me a bottle and some bring me cake. And they do it behind their old pure parents' back. There's one from McCorville and one from Carlisle. And another one from Derry my heart has beguiled. But I'd trade every one for a drop of the pure, For my first love is whiskey. The heart it can cure. Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day.
To worry for riches, I'm never inclined. For the greatest of misers must leave them behind. With a glass in my hand and a girl on my knee There's all a man needs for his pleasure, you see. For I knew a man who had plenty of gold, And I knew another who had twenty times more. But they're both on their backs among nettles and stone. So, my first love is whiskey and whiskey alone. Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day.
And now for the future, I mean to be wise. And I'll look for the women that treated me kind. I'll marry them all on the next Market Day, If the clergy agree to the things that I say. And when I am dead and my soul is at rest, These women will come for to cry at my wake. And they'll cover me over with whiskey so pure, And I'll dance on the lid of my coffin and cheer. Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day."
The Irish Rovers, The Unicorn.
Slan agus saoghal agat, bean ar do mhein agat, talamh gan cios agat agus bas in Eirinn. Slan agus beannachtai libh
βœ–
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:22:09 GMT, Tom Watson
Who, and/or what, is this Usk? I used to live outside of the town of Usk in Eastern Washington state and I've always wondered about the name.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tim Douglass wrote:

Named after Usk Wales by a Welsh imigrant.
Dick
Add pictures here
βœ–

OK. Any idea about the name Usk in Wales? What it means or anything?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tim Douglass wrote:

I can't make sense out of anything in Welsh. But a Google search indicates in was derived from the old English word isca meaning "water".
Just to make things interesting it's actually spelled Wysg in Welsh. But still pronounced about the same. If you want a brain teaser, try driving through Wales and remembering the names you saw in the road sign you just passed.
Beautiful country, nice people, confusing as hell language and use of their alphabet.
Dick
Add pictures here
βœ–

Are we playing 6 degrees of Tom Watson?
Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Interesting. That's more than I knew before. I can't say something like that every day, so this is good.
Thanks, Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

Try getting off the train here:
http://www.clwbmalucachu.co.uk/images/llanfair.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@meolbamboo.com says...

Probably never happen, by the time the conductor is done announcing it, the train has left the station again. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I went from Tan y Bwlch to Blaenau Ffestiniog and return on the Rheilffordd Ffestiniog Railway on a beautifully restored narrow gauge with Victorian era cars. Nice simple names by comparison. The language doesn't sound at all like it looks. It's rather pleasant sounding and things aren't pronounced at all like we read them.
Dick
Add pictures here
βœ–

"Usk and ye shall receive"
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:01:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@horatio.agresource.com () wrote:

Ouch!!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:17:36 GMT, Tom Watson

Only in Ireland and in the poor misbegotten ex-colony you have the misfortune to live in.

Well, I'll be damned! Nay! So there! I have never heard such unmitigated BS.
Tom, you uncannily remind me of my friend Doug, who is also a cabinetmaker, pretends to be Irish, is into peat-moss-and-caramel-flavoured rubbing alcohol (too much water in it to even qualify as shellac thinner), is given to flights of verse, and hates (i.e. is jealous of) plumbers. I suppose you hate grappa too?

And your point is?
;-) <-------Just to make sure.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hell, weegee, at least we're an EX colony. (note to Northern Defense Perimeter - watch for incoming)

I would have expected you to say, "Nee."
If by BS you mean 'bella stronzo', This isn't a BAD thread. You'll find him up and to the left.

Oy !

Love grappa. Hate plumbers. Hate electricians, too. Like painters - cause they make my crappy trim work look nice.

Proven.
I was pretty damned sure anyways, weegee.
If you ever decide to see what life is like outside of the third world, look me up.
(hooo, hoo -heeeeee...ouch !)
βœ–