OT: A Message From the Rural Midwest

Thanks, Dave...made me chuckle.

Its my understanding that the border states are gonna install toll gates...and that they'll need a permit to travel across the states.

They're gonna have a conclave in Chicago...and use their system as a model. I'm not sure, but I think the Chicago road construction crews are gonna contribute their ideas, also.

Thanks again.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Around where I grew up the dirt roads were oiled. Seemed to keep the dust and the mud down a bit.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Ahhh, the daze of my yout, seeing Russell Bliss out spraying the roads of Time Beach with waste oil.

was Bliss.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

When I was a young'un, Grandad worked for the township, before they had a powered grader. They used an *old* International crawler tractor & a towed grader/york rake to maintain the dirt roads. Took most of the Summer to get them all back in decent shape after the Winter snowplow & Spring freeze/thaw ravages. Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Yes. Did that to ours, too. It worked, but I understand that now the EPA will fine or jug anyone who oils his road.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self

When I was a little tyke I would ride my bike past the Wyeth Laboratories facility. If the wind was right I'd get a misty coating of this stuff that made my face feel like peach fuzz.

That'll prolly show up some day on an xray.

When I got a little older I worked in a paper mill for a bit. The chemicals that were used in the pulp beater used to make my skin break out in a rash.

That might be one of the reasons my skin is so bumpy in spots.

Then, when I first started doing carpentry, I would cut asbestos backer boards for fireplaces: no mask.

You can bet that's waiting for me down the road a piece.

I once sprayed some poly in my one car garge/shop, while the kerosene heater was running. An open flame in a room where poly is being sprayed does funny things to the poly vapor.

That was the first time I got bronchitis. Now I get it every couple three years.

I got more careful over the years and use a good organic vapor repirator now but I've sprayed a lot of nitro lacquer and I've noticed a bit of a tremor in the last few years. They say nitro is a little rough on the CNS. I believe them

So, ya see, that goddamned road oil don't scare me even a little bit.

It can stand in line with all the rest.

(pour me some more of that third red eye, barkeep, and pass me them cigarettes - I don't guess it really matters much no more - sigh...)

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

'Round here we keep the drivers oiled. Doesn't seem to have an effect on the dust and mud, but the bullshit is beyond belief.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

One of Larryjaques' T-shirts says it all: "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Which one? Ellicot, Busti, Gerry?

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Mask, what mask? I swept all kinds of dusts for many months into burlap bags, then loaded the dust leaking bags into semis for transport to the dump. Later on, I cut the asbestos boards for fireplace backers, and for framing out wood stove chimney installations...usually with a cigaret in my mouth.

They do tell us pretty close to up front that we ain't gonna get out of this alive. I'm betting on it.

Not too long ago, I walked into a buddy's cabinet shop to find the help spraying contact cement on a very large countertop and the underside of the laminate. I have to say, from the way it hit me coming in, within seconds, I don't really know how those two could even hit the floor with the spray! I opened the overhead door on my way out, but I was afraid to kick on a fan.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
jo4hn

Being from Pennsyltucky, I s'pose I qualify as an Easterner.

(although Jimmy Carville says that Pennsyltucky is Pittsburgh in the West, Philadelphia in the East, and Alabama in between - which is a hell of a thing for a Looseyann boy to say about 'Bama)

Anyways, story is told, by very unreliable sources, about the day some New Yak City boys tried to rob a bank in their home town, screwed it up, and headed West.

They dropped down out of New York State into Potter County, Pennsyltucky and decided to rob a roadhouse bar to get some grub and gas money.

Well, it was the evening of the Opening Day of Deer Season and, being Potter County, the most intensely hunted county in the state, the bar was full of hunters.

The three lads walked into the bar and showed their iron.

When the State Police led the young men away, one of the shaken, wannabe robbers was heard to say:

"I've never seen so many people pointing guns at me."

"This is worse than The Bronx."

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:20:55 GMT, "Bob Schmall" brought forth from the murky depths:

"Corn? Now we can make whisky!"

Newp. That's a sig file, to wit...

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:13:02 -0500, "Norman D. Crow" brought forth from the murky depths:

Wow, they had OIL back when you were a kid, Nahmie?

We kids used to follow the mosquito fogger truck on LRAFB back in the early 60's despite the fact that they told us to all stay indoors while they fogged. We all lived, I think.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's "Whiskey", gotdamnit !

"Whiskey is a shortened form of usquebaugh, which English borrowed from Irish Gaelic uisce beatha and Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha. This compound descends from Old Irish uisce, ?water,? and bethad, ?of life,? and meaning literally ?water of life.? (It thus meant the same thing as the name of another drink, aquavit, which comes from Latin aqua vtae, ?water of life.?) "

I'd not be the one to cut out my fellow Celts but;

THE IRISH INVENTED WHISKEY AND POETRY AND EVERYONE WHO SAYS, "NAY", BE DAMNED !

I don't know what yer Gauls pray to but the Gaels pray to whiskey and we do not like to see our religious heritage trifled with in such a tawdry way.

I've a friend who call Courvoisier, "French Whiskey", but I suspect him of being both drunk and Italian.

Oy !

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Carroll

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

"wvvf" ?????????

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Chesterton:

"His harp was carved and cunning, His sword prompt and sharp, And he was gay when he held the sword, Sad when he held the harp.

For the great Gaels of Ireland Are the men that God made mad, For all their wars are merry, And all their songs are sad."

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"And the man was come like a shadow, From the shadow of Druid trees, Where Usk, with mighty murmurings, Past Caerleon of the fallen kings, Goes out to ghostly seas.

Last of a race in ruin-- He spoke the speech of the Gaels; His kin were in holy Ireland, Or up in the crags of Wales.

But his soul stood with his mother's folk, That were of the rain-wrapped isle, Where Patrick and Brandan westerly Looked out at last on a landless sea And the sun's last smile. "

see supra

On a happier albeit less classical note:

"I am a young fellow that's fond of my fun, And Ferlin in Derry is where I've begun. All over the country, I've spent all my cash. With Kitty and Ginny and Mary McNash. My father disowned me for being such a rake. And for spending my time in such frolicksome ways. The girls, they are sweet, but I'll have you all know That my first love in life is the pure whiskey, oh! Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day.

If I chance for to go to the town of Kildare All the girls all around me they flock on the square Some bring me a bottle and some bring me cake. And they do it behind their old pure parents' back. There's one from McCorville and one from Carlisle. And another one from Derry my heart has beguiled. But I'd trade every one for a drop of the pure, For my first love is whiskey. The heart it can cure. Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day.

To worry for riches, I'm never inclined. For the greatest of misers must leave them behind. With a glass in my hand and a girl on my knee There's all a man needs for his pleasure, you see. For I knew a man who had plenty of gold, And I knew another who had twenty times more. But they're both on their backs among nettles and stone. So, my first love is whiskey and whiskey alone. Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day.

And now for the future, I mean to be wise. And I'll look for the women that treated me kind. I'll marry them all on the next Market Day, If the clergy agree to the things that I say. And when I am dead and my soul is at rest, These women will come for to cry at my wake. And they'll cover me over with whiskey so pure, And I'll dance on the lid of my coffin and cheer. Riddley-i-di, riddley-i-di-di, riddley-i-di-day."

The Irish Rovers, The Unicorn.

Slan agus saoghal agat, bean ar do mhein agat, talamh gan cios agat agus bas in Eirinn. Slan agus beannachtai libh

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Kinda sums it up. You have some beautiful country and some really nice people up there. Just none of it within range of SEPTA. :)

I can imagine. I ate dinner with some kindly folks in the sticks west of Altoona once. They regaled me with tales of how they ran the last game warden out of town, and asked (in the middle of June or so) if I wanted to go deer hunting.

We here in the South don't have a monopoly on rednecks by a long shot. :)

Reply to
Silvan