OOOPS. The Sweat and Tears - NOW the B L O O D . . .

Sorry now I realise my thumb would have slammed into the top on the 2 1/2" maple not the table my hand was in between the fence and the blade. Its a Robland X31 with a rip blade in it. There are rough hide gloves not really soft thin leather.

Reply to
Connor Aston

One more afterthought; after looking at the pictures, when I have something that size to rip, I will usually cut half way through on one side, then flip it over and rip it the rest of the way on the other side. Before ripping, the board is properly face jointed and run through the planer. Then after sawing, one more trip to the jointer to clean up the saw marks, or to the drum sander. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

Yeah!!! It all happens so fast you think you know what happens untill you start reviewing. I was the same way.

Thanks.

Seeing the picture, that was the same type glove that I pushed in to the blade and the blade simply cut with no snags.

Reply to
Leon

I never, ever get my hand or my fingers between blade and fence. Too easy to slip and ...

Actually something nobody else talked about is ripping with a radial arm, turned 90degrees. It's not the ideal tool for that job, but I actually don't have a tablesaw of my own (a friend's was resident in my shop for a few years while he was working in mine & until he built his own shop, but I do very well indeed with the radial arm and the horrible bandsaw I have). So: ripping on the radial arm. I've had it pick up an 8' stick and throw it across the room. If you've got your bare hand on that r/s stick at that time, you won't like it much. I wear riggers gloves, which are thin leather, tight fitting that don't interfere much with my ability to feel what I'm doing.

Although, I must say I go nowhere near the blade - I change sides from pushing to pulling before I get to within 18" of any moving parts.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Have you considered a nice tight fitting tin foil hat?

Reply to
L d'Bonnie

Just to throw some fuel on this fire, have a look at this picture:

anything odd....

No, it's not me. This is Rude Osolnik (RIP: 3/4/1915-11/18/2001).

40 year veteran wood turner and recipient of numerous accolades.
this submitted, I will have to point out that I don't wear gloves while working, and most certainly would NEVER wear that wedding ring, a watch, necklace, or loose clothing around machinery.

But the surest safety measure is to never let your body parts come into close proximity to a potential problem - and that includes a realistic consideration of the outside forces of stock kick-back, binding, blank dismounts, catches, mechanical failure, etc.

Connor, You may be "slow", but consider that you may be in good company. ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Reply to
Connor Aston

Well, lots of turners wear gloves -- notice that the gloved hand has an iron tool rest between it and the moving parts. Keep that hand there, and there's no danger. I'll bet he doesn't wear that glove while sanding on the lathe.

Wearing gloves while using a table saw, shaper, or jointer is just plain stupid.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ahh... but the original quote was:

"There is a reason you were warned not to wear gloves around machinery."

There was no distinction made for lathes.

Don't misunderstand this as condoning the practice, but everyone has been relentless in chastising the guy, I thought I'd toss a bone. ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I gotta chime in here. Wearing gloves around lathes is like wearing gloves with the TS. Keep that gloved hand right there and you will be fine with a Table Saw too. Just because many or most do it that way does not mean that the danger decreases. Probably more TS users operate with out a guard than turners that use gloves. That does not make the operation a TS with out a guard even less dangerous?

You just have to be careful. If you are careful nothing will every happen. I am always careful, so I don't need any more protection. My carefulness will always protect me from harming myself. I am never, not careful.

That second paragraph, kinda sounds familiar does it not? How many times have we read comments like that in this group? Doug I am not making this reply towards you directly. I am directing this towards all of us that work with a tool that can harm you. There are thousands of woodworkers that are much better than us, have been woodworking longer than us, and use more precautions than us, just not all the time. Often we produce pieces that are close to perfect. Those better, more experienced woodworkers however are human just like us and are equally capable of making a mistake, or having a lapse of judgment, or a senior moment and that unfortunately can lead to a tragedy of varying degrees. And they just like many of us have had accidents.

None of us know all the possible ways or situations that can lead to an unfortunate event. If anyone that operates a tool thinks that he knows and practices safety enough to keep from being harmed on any particular tool he simply is not old enough yet. Time has taught many of us that we will not always be as quick, focused, or intuitive as we have been in the past and unfortunately we do not always recognize that soon enough. How many times have one of us posted a picture of one of our injuries, explained what they were doing when it happened, and some where in the explanation stated that "I knew better".

Stay safe.

Reply to
Leon

I went to the workshop on Wednesday night and looked at the crime scene. Honestly I nearly fainted. Had been dreaming all week of returning to the table. I started off by making a push stick from 2" dia curtian pole rounded one end and the cut a slot to push the wood with the other. I started the TS and took a deap breath and came over with a cold sweat! Cut one piece and stopped the saw went outside and drank a cup of tea. Then back in a cut the other 6 lenghts and stopped the saw I really felt sick at the thought of what I had done but I suppose its like getting back on a hores and managed to get back to work.

My thumb is still really numb after being slammed down onto the wood but things seem to be on the mend.

Thanks everyone for all you kind comments.

Reply to
Connor Aston

Did you jumble the letters or leave off the W...? ;)

RicodJour

I really like what these guys call "rectangular push sticks":

big advantage is that it lets you apply some force further forwards, not just at the tip of the push stick. Mine are maybe 16" long and 8" high. I also don't have a hole in it...just an indent for the thumb that I cut with a forstner. That way the whole thickness of the board is between the saw blade and my fingers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Yes this style actually helps to prevent kick back also. Typical push sticks are not good against kick back.

Reply to
Leon

Getting back on hores, I'll have to take your word on that one. ;~)

Great

Reply to
Leon