Weird,Aldi selling B&D tools now

just paid a weekly visit to Aldi and they're now selling B&D tat.

Must of scrapped they're powercraft range? I happen to have a look at their router again and it seems they have improved its design...not that I would buy it mind.

Reply to
George

Aldi must be going down market selling B&D stuff. I've stopped buying anything B&D brand due to the very poor quality. It used to be average-decent stuff years ago but I think it's just cheap Chinese crap nowadays with a B&D badge on it. My last three B&D purchases were:

  1. A laser level that wasn't level.
  2. A garden shredder that blocked too easily and spent more time being unblocked than being used.
  3. A drill that kept slipping into hammer mode when drilling wood or metal!

I don't have deep pockets or enough usage to pay for top of the range tools but nowadays find Bosch usually meets my needs and budget.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I have an ancient (early 1980's vintage) b&d power drill, single speed (screaming fast), crappy little chuck - and that always slips into hammer mode.

Its sole use was being fairly short front to back it could do masonry work in tight corners - but now made redundant by a bosch cordless combi.

Is there a special circle of hell where crappy power tools can be consigned?

Reply to
dom

Refer to subject line....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Stuart B

How far the mighty can fall. In the clothing sector formerly respected brands like Farah and Ben Sherman have ended up in Matalan.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What's Matalan?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I bought an Yves San Lauren shirt there once. Matalan saw off C&A from the UK after 70 years. They are cheap, but not nasty. They are big and powerful and can negotiate with branded names.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They make chucks.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ah. That kind of place.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, you bought a cheap sweat shop shirt with a YSL label on it.

Them and Primark & M&B &"George st ASDA" & "2 shirts for £5" TESCO.

To let them stick it on 3rd world sweat shop products made by prisoner / slave labour.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I run a freecycle group, and I suspect even they would turn their noses up at my crappy B&D.

Time I had another clear-out though. The "freebie" mitre saw table needs to go amongst other things (it's god awful beyond belief) - maybe I can palm off the b&d as a free extra.

Reply to
dom

Indeed. Some nice young fillies in their catalogue though. Even you must get that through your door now and then

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Actually no. Very few catalogues come in the post or even the free newspaper. That's why I hadn't heard of it.

I did see a TV advert yesterday (I watch very little commercial TV) for a store called TK-something-or-other which seemed to be doing the same kind of thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, I believe they're what's known as a shop in an area often referred to as the high street. They are purveyors of a skin covering known as clothing. Get down to Reading, man. The joint is jumpin.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yep!! A shop!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh please. The town centre is a hell-hole, like most town centres. People wandering aimlessly about, unable to decide on what they are going to buy, if anything, and getting in the way. Made especially worse on Saturday mornings by double width pushchairs pushed around inexpertly by young fathers tasked with getting them and the kids out of the house while it's cleaned. All of that is before one considers the nightmare of trying to park.

All in all, a huge waste of time, getting in the way and slowing me down. Then it all assumes that stock is available.

Why would I want to waste my time with any of that?

Not that on-line shopping is that much better, although much less time is wasted. It's still necessary to ensure that suppliers meet their commitments, however.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Toolstation had a 'silly price' clear out a while ago, bought some auger bits, SDS bits, a laser level & a tile cutter - all Powercraft brand. Tile cutter was about£3.50 and its pretty good.

I notice Toolstation also seem to be tied up with Silverline as well.

Obviously some connection there.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That would be TK Maxx. Their business model was to take overmakes and oher surplus stock and run low overhead stores in high street locations.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Andy Hall wrote

A store that sells clothing from 3rd world countries with perhaps 100% mark-up unlike other high street outlets that source from the same places but have 1000% mark-up.

Reply to
Alan