The smell of paint

Hi,
I fear I may have committed a minor faux pas and I'm looking for a
sanity check on my methods of dealing with it.
I put the last coat of gloss paint on the guest room on Thursday evening
in anticipation of it being used on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, two
days later and with two days left to go, the room still stinks of gloss
paint.
My thinking is that heat is more important that ventilation in getting
the solvents out of the paint so I have the window only cracked open
very slightly and have a fan heater running which is heating the room to
30 degC.
Is this the right approach? Is it actually making a difference or am I
just wasting money running the fan heater? Is there anything else I
could do to speed the process?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Martin.
Reply to
Martin Wiseman
The message from "cerberus" contains these words:
I was about to suggest that. My mother's cure for paint smells...
Reply to
Anne Jackson
Agreed. Cut them in half and leave lying around the room (on saucers, perhaps) and they seem to genuinely help to remove the smell.
Styx
Reply to
Styx
The solvent needs to escape so open the windows and let all the air in the room out. The paint will dry at low temperatures, I mean if you do some painting in the cold you can still smell it right?
Reply to
Keith
The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:
I'm allergic to paint smells, though. The fumes make me ill.
Reply to
Anne Jackson
Try a scented candle....some of the 'seasonal' ones are pretty niffy and will go some way to disguising the paint smell. A naked flame helps anyway.
Regards,
Reply to
Stephen Howard
Well both are what you need. You need to have a low vapour peressure - the less solvent is in the air, and the hotter it is, the lower that will be.
So heat it to hell, then open the windows wide and totally replace the air every hour or four....
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Site Timeline Threads