Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps, basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone suggested lithium grease?

SD

Reply to
S.Daley

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

Reply to
RLM

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring mld

Reply to
MLD

Depends entirely on what the o-ring is made from.

But, probably not a good choice for potable water, certainly not if in contact (altho a minimal risk, isn't approved for food contact).

I'd ask OP _what_ o-rings, what kind/style of pump, etc., ...

Depending, may not need any lubrication and/or may be detrimental to performance/longevity or may be water-lubricated or...

--

Reply to
dpb

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible. Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

Reply to
tnom

the manual for my pool pump said to use silicone grease. i know rtfm is against the guy rules though....

Reply to
charlie

Most O-rings are Buna-n, some are Viton, others are Teflon. Vaseline is compatable with all of them.

The small amounts of Vaseline that may enter the water will cause no harm. Vaseline is non toxic.

Reply to
tnom

You can use silicone grease but it is more costly and really isn't needed. What would you rather ingest? Vaseline or Silicone? Have you ever tried to get rid of a Silicone residual when trying to paint?

Reply to
tnom

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). As tnom has stated it is eatable and worked for me and a host of mechanics for over forty years. Even used it on poly packing. Easy to see if contaminated and what the contaminate is. A metal shaving or grit in a dark grease will lead to rework. The most expensive work because it it at no profit and may ruin your reputation. Your reputation is hardest part of rework to repair.

Reply to
RLM

neither, but silicone is inert and vaseline is oil based. you can buy a tube of it in an auto parts store for about the same price as a tub of vaseline. look for boat trailer bearing grease.

i have also read that some o-rings will disintegrate if used with oil based lubricants; manuals explicitly state not to use it on some pumps that i have. i can't tell the difference between materials of o-rings and would rather not risk it.

you paint the inside of your pumps?

Reply to
charlie

Please Quote. Vaseline is 100% compatible with O-rings.

They are speaking of mechanical seals. Do not use petroleum on mechanical seals. Use glycerin

No, but Silicone residue is mostly invisible and hard to get rid of. If silicone use becomes standard procedure for lubrication around the house then expect the residue to end up on painted surfaces. If it ends up on painted surfaces you should expect problematic paint jobs.

Reply to
tnom

Especially since fire codes

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

would be nice if I could hit the close command instead of post...

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I recommend plumbers grease, it is much tackier then most lubes & lasts much longer before washing/wiping away.

Reply to
bq340

What if the OP's pump body is plastic? The lube has to be compatible with all the material it contacts....

Reply to
bq340

The question was about O-rings. Not plastic. Most plastics fair well will petroleum.

Reply to
tnom

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote: ...

I didn't say it was harmful, I said it wasn't approved for potable water systems...

I was lit up a few months ago by somebody else on the other way 'round when I suggested it for the water filter o-rings. So, thinking same way you did/do, I looked it up and it is _not_ listed for internal use.

That said, I personally still use it but no longer recommend it in usenet postings for the purpose...

Reply to
dpb

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon grease.

A little goes a long ways. We would apply enough to make the ring appear wet.... but not enough to leave any excess glop on the ring.

Food grade silicon grease was available from restaurant supply houses. Dive shops sometimes had it as well. And silicon spray is NOT the same as the grease; it won't last nearly as long.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

They were wrong as far as O-ring compatibility. Perhaps the valve or other material is what is in question, not the O-ring.

Reply to
tnom

EPDM rubber is not compatible with Vaseline. Is this what scuba gear uses? It may be because respirators use it. This is the same type of rubber that automotive door seals are made of.

EPDM is not used as O-ring material in pumps.

Reply to
tnom