Replacement O rings

Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.

Reply to
bert

Try ebay for an 'O' ring set. You'll get a selectiob for very little money

Reply to
fred

The dimensions of the one that you are trying to replace?

Reply to
Martin Brown

True but IME they normally contain "thinner" rings and often don't have a good match for existing ones.

If you are missing the ring altogether, your replacement should have a bore close to the depth of the groove (slightly loose is OK), a thickness close to the width of the groove, and it should stick out slightly when it is in position.

They normally come in integral metric sizes, if you see what I mean. (Same applies to imperial).

Reply to
newshound

I find pressure washers need sizes that are not in the selection boxes, and they're picky to 0.1mm, too small leaks, too big refuses to connect.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You get a selection but often when you need one you find that they are too thin. Although I have found a use for many in a set its always one or two sizes that are used most.

Inside and outside diameter are the important parameters, assuming a round cross section of the ring

Reply to
alan_m

I think you need both metric and imperial sets to be covered.

I find that with all O rings, which is where having the two sets is useful. 6mm v 1/4" sort of thing...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There may well be charts but I have gone by diameter and thickness as being the two defining measurements.

Fredxx

Correct, two dimensions and the material are the only parameters. OD follows from ID and thickness/cross section. The latter is sometimes called "chord".

Reply to
newshound