Grease - lubricant for aluminium

This will be external use where one I have one telescopic style of an extension piece, where one box section slides in another, and a swivel joint.

So far I was thinking of PTFE grease. I can't find any graphite grease locally but see that Screwfix does a Molyslip type grease.

What would be best?

Reply to
Fredxx

Whatever you use, just a thin smear. I used too much grease on an acme thread of about 1" dia. and it locked up. Eventually got it apart, removed almost all of the grease and it was then OK.

Reply to
PeterC

I don't normally worry about lubricating aluminium for external use. Maybe a spray of WD40 occasionally if it feels sticky. You could use a silicone spray if you are anti-WD40.

The downside with greases is that they will attract dirt and collect wear debris.

Excess Moly grease will stain clothing, PTFE greases less so. SF and TS and others do sprays of "white grease" which I find quite effective in this sort of "light duty" application.

Reply to
newshound

I have a WD40 silicon spray.

Reply to
jon

Many thanks, I hadn't thought of silicone spray.

In the end I got:

Given it should be water repellent and non-staining it seems an ideal candidate.

Reply to
Fredxx

I do find silicone sprays useful especially for rubbers and plastics. I have the impression that some are a bit more "lasting" than others but I have never done a proper scientific test. Before they were commonplace some people used to use the silicon furniture polish sprays for curtain tracks, etc.

Reply to
newshound