coffee machines choice?

I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

Reply to
John Towill

For filter coffee, pod coffee or espresso they are all quite different?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Pods are the environmental work of the devil, AIUI.

We have a deLonghi B2C "Authentica" that's pretty good. Takes beans as standard, but you can put ground coffee in a special chamber if you like.

To be honest it's the milk frother that gets most use - I like tea lattes too.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Beans to cup? I'm very happy with my DeLonghi. I was amused to see Siemens flooding facebook with ads for machines that started upwards of £1000.

Reply to
newshound

Our recently bought DeLongi filter machine from John Lewis cost a mere £39 ;-)

Reply to
charles

The best coffee is made with freshly ground beans. There is no getting away from that. Pod coffee is a gimmick really, although undoubtedly better than a cup of instant and better than stale, long opened ready ground coffee.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Same here, an americano is my standard coffee.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But ideal for self service. Simply hand the customer a pod and get back to serving others.

We don't keep our packeted ground coffee for very long.

Reply to
charles

We started 5 years ago with a deLonghi ground coffee machine reduce to 40 from 120 in Sainsburys ...

We signed up to their coffee club, and a year later had an offer - half price for the Authentica.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I get through about 4 pods per day. Nespresso supply a plastic bag and collect for disposal/recycling on their next delivery. There have been rumours about changing the aluminium cap to improve re-cyclability so they are concerned about their image.

Time is more important to me than the best possible drink!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I make my first morning coffee from freshly ground beans in a Cafetiere and rest of the day use coffee bags.

Reply to
jon

Any recommendations for a standalone milk frother? (to heat the milk, not those little battery whisks)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I make my first morning coffee from freshly ground beans in a Cafetiere and rest of the day use instant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a Bosch TES...something that is bean to cup. Four and a half years and I am very happy.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not really, as I use the one on the machine.

That said, I suspect it's a little bit underpowered. It's OK for the cm or so milk SWMBO likes in her cappucino, but takes an age for the amount of milk I like in my enormo earl grey.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Another vote for Delonghi beans-to-cup here. Ours is a few years old now and makes excellent coffee.

No scale issues as we fill it from the household soft water.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I make a full jug from a filter machine. When it is all filtered I turn off the heater. If the coffee in the jug has gone cold, I pour out a cup and microwave it. It often lasts a couple of days. It tastes better than nespresso or instant.

I use ground coffee packets, but a packet only lasts a week. It doesn't seem to go stale in that time.

Reply to
Pancho

I'd avoid a bean to cup, having been given a Beko machine recently. Takes a lot of cleaning/faffing (the insides become putrid after a short while), and while the coffee's fine, it's nothing special and not especially hot. And the machine is noisy and takes up a chunk of worktop.

Best for me is a cafetiere with freshly ground beans, or ready ground as a decent second best.

Reply to
RJH

I've found my Bosch easy to clean. And it tells you when to run a cleaning cycle.

The coffee could be hotter, but I pre-warm the mug using the hot water facility...

Reply to
Bob Eager