17mm O/D blue water pipe

1970s ex-council house. Rising main is in a blue MDPE type pipe with an external diameter of 17mm. Modern blue MDPE is 20mm as are all the fittings for it. Anyone know what it is likely to be?

I am guessing that it maybe imperial, possibly 1/2inch internal diameter.

The existing stop-c*ck has this pipe one side and 15mm copper the other. It is leaking and I would like to replace it but is a similar part still available?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

17 mm does not sound right, the old pipe sizes were 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" and have stayed the same just renamed to the nearest mm, copper pipe is measured od. gal pipe is id.
Reply to
F Murtz

I know but give or take a thin layer of gunge my digital callipers say just that. I can check again this evening for an exact measurement but it is certainly not 15mm.

Reply to
Andrew May

In article , Andrew May writes

17.1mm is the O/D size of old 3/8" (I/D) LDPE pipe.

I was going to suggest using a 20mm MDPE fitting stop c*ck with a 3/8" adaptor set in one end and a 15mm copper adaptor set in the other but the usual suspects eg.

stop at

1/2" (I/D) LDPE. Note there is a 3/8" adaptor on that page but not for your pipe type so I wouldn't recommend it. If you can find a suitable adaptor/reducing set then this would still be the neatest solution.

The alternative is to use a universal transition fitting first followed by a conventional 15 or 22mm stop c*ck but those transition fixings are huge and it's rare that there's lots of room around a stop c*ck ;-). For this you would use BES code 13544 (same page as above) to mate with your LDPE pipe and use either code 10164 or 9939 adaptor sets to mate with the appropriate sized copper for your new stopcock.

Reply to
fred

Go to the best local plumbers merchants, and they will have an adaptor in stock. I had a similar problem late last year, only one merchants kept the adaptors in stock, and sold loads of them they said. B+Q/Wickes etc will not be able to help you with the adaptor.

In the late 60's/early 70's there was a shortage of copper, so builders used whatever they could find, mainly plastic, but sometimes iron with a nickel coating, which makes it look like old stainless pipe. Beware of this if you have it in your house, as although looking in good condition on the surface, the iron/steel underneath is invariably weakened, and usually collapses when you tighten up a compression fitting.

Tell the merchants where you live, and they will know what adaptor you need to mate the incoming plastic to 15mm copper. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Just measured again. It's 17.1mm exactly give or take the layer of crud.

You are dead right about the limited space around the stop c*ck. there is about 6" of incoming mains. A stop c*ck with integrated drain point and then a 90degree elbow into the meter. So not really room for transition fitting.

I think my initial reaction is to remove the stop c*ck and give it a good clean and replace any worn washers etc to see if I can get it working without leaking.

Then, if that doesn't work look for an alternative.

Thanks for your comments.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Well, stripped the tap down over the weekend. Turns out to be an ordinary 1/2" / 1/2" stop c*ck. A short (very short) length of 1/2" copper pipe had somehow been inserted into the blue incoming mains. Not sure how and I wasn't going to disturb it but whatever was done is still holding up.

Means that I couldn't replace the tap because the threads are different to a 15mm fitting but I did strip down the tap, reverse the washers and give it all a good clean and descale and it now all appear to be working without any leaks.

Thanks for all the advice.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May