O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 5 of 14
Lee Michaels wrote:

most usually a roll unless there was either damage to the mast, a fitting pulled out, or she lost a shroud.
just a knockdown usually doesn't do it.
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

-------------------------------- See prior post.
Lew

Not to take away from her accomplishments, but without autopilot she would not be able to do this sort of trip. Nor would most of us.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

--------------------------------------- That's what a windvane is for.
A mechanical system that automatically steers a boat to the apparent wind.
Been used forever on blue water passages.
No electrons req'd.
Lew
Lew
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:07:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

For this type of sailing, a windvane would be far more appropriate. Autopilots are fine for coastal cruising, not long passages and circumnavigations.
On 4/25/2010 6:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ed, google "windvane self-steering".

I answered your question and am not going to go farther since you are insisting in staying this loop.
See Robatoy's answer to you,, he sum's it pretty nicely.

Better yet look at upscales response.
Leon wrote:

I lost interest in anything Robatoy had to say a long time ago and I don't see anything from upscale either.

This from a guy who thinks he can 20 knots out of a 40-foot displacement hull.
And of course you lost interest in anything I had to say because I continually kept whooping your ass by calling your bullshit and bad temper on a regular basis.
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 08:02:58 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

It's been done. And not even a modern boat. The venerable Cal 40, which was introduced in the early 1960's. Sustained 15 knot runs, and they have hit 25 knots.
Of course, this involves surfing! They are still competitive in the TransPac.
On Jan 17, 12:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You mean planing.... I was talking about a displacement hull, like Jessica's
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:17:30 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

The Cal 40 IS a displacement hull.
On Jan 17, 12:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

And here I thought I was haulin ass with a Hobie 16 @ 14.5 knots...

And here I was wondering why you would need 20 knots in something. ;~)
Leon wrote:

On the odd chance that he said something worth hearing I googled that post.
My response is to quote a favorite expression of a man who served 28 years in the Navy, several years in the Coast Guard before that, and I don't know how long as a merchant seaman before that, and who until it got lost in a move had in his possession a hand-carved model of the Gertrude L. Thebaud, presented to him by the crew on the occasion of his being transferred to the Pacific after serving aboard her on the Mid Atlantic Submarine Patrol.
"Go pee up a rope". Or, to make robatoy happy, I will amend that. _He_ should go pee up a _line_.

She'd cut their nuts off!
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:21:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

That fits with a joke I received via email on Friday:
--snip-- While trying to escape through Pakistan, Osama Bin Laden found a bottle on the sand and picked it up.
Suddenly, a female genie rose from the bottle and with a smile said, "Master, may I grant you one wish?"
Osama responded,"You ignorant, unworthy daughter-of-a-dog! Don't you know who I am? I don't need any common woman giving me anything."
The shocked genie said, "Please, I must grant you a wish or I will be returned to that bottle forever."
Osama thought a moment, then grumbled about the impertinence of the woman and said,"Very well, I want to awaken with three American women in my bed in the morning. So just do it and be off with you.
"The annoyed genie said, "So be it!" and disappeared.
The next morning Bin Laden woke up in bed with Lorena Bobbitt, Tonya Harding, and Nancy Pelosi at his side.
His penis was gone, his knees were broken, and he had no health insurance. --snip--
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

ROTFL!!!
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:26:19 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Has anyone figured out what the differences in risks are between: A) Walking home from work in a large/medium/small/rural city. and B) Circumnavigating the globe at age 16?
I don't have time for the search, but I hope someone does and gives us the stats.