O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 4 of 14
On 6/13/2010 1:06 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Do you know of an aborigine who needed rescue at sea and was denied it?

No, do you? Plenty of them have been denied a hell of a lot that could have been paid for by the charter of a long range civilian aircraft.
On 6/14/2010 4:04 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

And does whatever they were denied come out of the same part of the budget? The notion that "if we cut this program then this other group will be able to have more money" is a virgin's hope. Government agencies don't work that way.

They Should be paying.
On 6/12/2010 11:09 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

So you're saying that every time a ship is lost the owners should pay the entire cost of the rescue? And I bet every time a house catches fire the owner should pay the entire cost of the fire department coming to put it out, and when some guy is getting mugged the cops shouldn't help him until he whips out his wallet and pays them for the service.
Real nice world you want to create.

That is Not what I said. I assume cruise ships are insured. If so, their insurance would cover the rescue - or should.
Just like my taxes and Insurance covers the cost of my house fire.

Real nice Strawman. Go burn it.

On 6/13/2010 1:09 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

It has not been the habit of governments to bill ship owners for the cost of rescue.

So the fire department where you live bills you for the cost of putting out the fire?

I'm just going by what you've said. Search and rescue is a tax funded government function in most places that have it, like a fire department or a police department. If you want the rescuees to be billed by search and rescue why do you want them to be singled out? Why do you not want fire victims to be billed by the fire department or crime victims to be billed by the police? Why is it only search and rescue for which the victims must pay?

What part of my response didn't you understand? The part where I said my taxes cover it?

No, you're building a Strawman.

No, not completely. Particularly for specialized SAR such as mountain or widerness rescue.

There's that Strawman again. You want a light for that?

On 6/14/2010 4:07 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

And Abby's taxes and insurance cover the cost of her rescue so how is she different from you?

Nope, you're advocating that services be provided from something other than taxation.

So who pays for "specialized SAR such as mountain or wilderness rescue"?

So now you deny that you want rescuees to be billed by search and rescue?

Good question. Not like climbing Mt. Rainier.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

The news sites said a fishing boat was heading there to rescue her. But she'll have to stay aboard and fish until they go back home.
Looks like the "rescue" is getting "paid for" after all. :)
--

Richard Lamb

"cavelamb" wrote:

The fishing boat also has salvage rights if they want to be bothered exercising them.
Lew

They won't be taking the auto pilot.
A fishing boat is picking her up - and they stay out until full. She might be on a boat a long time waiting for port. Then - which port.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 6/11/2010 5:22 AM, Han wrote:

I'm glad she is ok, already there were rumblings of removing parents heads. She is a sailor from a sailing family, I don't believe what she was doing was inherenly more dangerous than the way I lived my teenage years, without me accomplishing a damn thing.
I know nothing about sailing or sail boats, but I thought the mast could be laid down in bad weather and with everything sealed up a good sail boat could withstand hurricane force weather.
Could you enlighten the unknowing?
basilisk

Those who know a little about sailing thought this voyage was in trouble before it even started. The boat was not properly equipped (huge understatement) for a circumnavigation, and she departed at about the worst possible time. Leaving California in January, put her in the notorious Indian Ocean just as the worst season there (winter) began. That was about as bad a plan as possible. Her reason for leaving at such a bad time was so she could set a particular record. If she waited to sail at the right time, when conditions would be as favorable as possible, she would be too old to claim that idiotic record.
The way she did many things made it far more dangerous than it needed to be.
On 6/11/2010 7:55 AM, basilisk wrote:

Boats on which the mast can be laid down have that feature for going under bridges or the like, not because it is beneficial to do so in bad weather--the sails are one's power source--if you take down the mast you have no propulsion and no control.
A good sail boat well handled and with sea room can usually survive any kind of bad weather, however it will often suffer damage in the process. Too much damage and it becomes unmanageable. And Poseidon can kill _any_ ship if he gets angry enough.
J. Clarke wrote:

it usually takes a crane to pull a mast on any reasonably large sailboat.

in almost all cases, a catamaran will be found floating abandoned after a dismasting, sometimes years later. they almost never sink as they don't hang a heavy chunk of lead on the bottom like monohulls.
"basilisk" wrote:

Boat up to about 25 ft can have what is known as a tabernacle mast which can be dropped on the deck without a crane.
Common in some parts of Europe for navigating the canals.
If the boat rolled, the chances of losing a mast increase significantly.
In addition, if a shroud (cable that holds up the mast) or shroud fitting failed, chances are good that would take the mast.
Faced with the weather she had, the usual practice is to "Heave To" where the jib sail is backwinded and the rudder is turned to oppose the jib.
The boat just bobs along.
You lose ground, but both you and the boat survive.
IMHO, this whole trip was a disaster waiting to happen as a result of bad planning.
She left L/A far too late. (January)
Prudent seamanship would have been to depart Dec 1 from San Diego or Thanksgiving from L/A which is after hurricane season, pass the "Horn" on New years Day and head East.
Machinery and sailboats are mutually exclusive IMHO.
Choosing not to use a windvane self steering as opposed to a power hungry electro/hydraulic autopilot was just plain fool hardy IMHO.
When they started crapping out and she was forced to make port in Capetown, all weather window was lost.
Choosing to sail in the Southern ocean in the winter comes under the heading of PPP, (Piss Poor Planning).
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Dismasted?? Is that a word?
Yep, I looked it up, it is a word.
Sound painful. It must have been trumatic. What kind of forces must be brought to bear to break a mast? Those things are pretty sturdy. It must of been really rough seas. She is lucky to be alive.