New totes and knobs

I just got mine, custom made by Mike Taylor_Katy Tx. WHAT an awesome bit of work he did. Pics posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking for you inspection.

These are in native cherry, he made the totes extra tall with a cutout at the top where the horn is, for the lateral lever, and made it deeper from front to back for my larger hand.

The knob is the high type yet made to work on the very old Baileys where the base meets the bed without a ring around the outside. The base fits around casting that goes up into the knob's base. The tops are extra wide, again for my large hand.

The reason he can do custom work without further charge is because he doesn't have pieces made, he creates when an order and payment comes in. I think anyone should consider this man's work:

am seriously considering having him restore my old #8, next month.

Reply to
AAvK

Man, those are *real* nice. Thanks for the link, I'm thinking it's time to replace some of those broken totes! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Yeah Mike does some really kind work for the cost, just perfect. You'd have to see these in person to get the scope of the size and quality of them, best price on the 'net too. I think it's the only place to go. I think for sttength and beauty the best choice is the cocabolo, had to keep the budget down on it tho. I chose cherry because of the price and strength, and Lie-Nielson uses it for their planes, so it's got to be good enough. I also do like the classic beauty of it a lot.

Reply to
AAvK

Reply to
Will

Yep I get hundreds of totes from him. he is a good guy until he goes on vacation without telling me (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Oh yes! My #8 is going there next month. And that is final!

Reply to
AAvK

I have looked at your site many times Steve, and those are some perfect totes on the razees (nice planes too)!

Reply to
AAvK

Thanks, but for Really awesome new totes and knobs I don't think you can top Dr. Berks in Beverly Hills. Nobody custom crafts tight totes and big round knobs better than Dr. D. (Yes, it would be B for Berks, but everyone calls him Dr. D.)

Reply to
igor

Oh yeah? Care to share the link, because of search results from such terms are too huge with actual doctors in every part of the country in every field... or is this some kind of dirty joke?

Reply to
AAvK