new to me countersink bits

I got a set of countersink bits that I'd never seen before. They have a hole drilled diagonally. They have no drill bit they're just for a countersink. They make a clean hole. I'd always just winged it with a drill bit but that doesn't produce the best result. Even if you put a collar on the bit to limit depth.

Have you been using this style of countersink? How hae they worked out?

Reply to
Electric Comet

I have a couple bits like you describe, but they are de-burring bits. Could that be what you have?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Something like these countersinks? Keep us informed of how they work as you use them more. I have often wondered how well they hold up.

Leon

I have a few of those I bought at Horrible Fright that I use for de-burring pin and screw holes in aluminum molds. They seem to work pretty good so far for that. I have used them in wood, but not much. They are cheap enough even if they don't last I can always buy more. They seem to chatter a lot less in aluminum than other tools I have used for the job.

Hey, they still have them. Woo! Hoo! They have lost so much of their product line in the last few years I always have to check.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

.. this is the version that Lee Valley sells - .. I haven't tried them.

John T.

hubops

I bought a set of them from Woodcraft some time back. As far as I'm concerned, they work quite well. I've only used them in a drill press, though.

Reply to
krw

They can be used to deburr also, yes

Reply to
Electric Comet

Lack of chatter... :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

They are like those pilotless bits. They are no-name but seem fine. I just played in some fir and liked the clean cut

Reply to
Electric Comet

These bits and step bits are now my favorites

I'm now embarking on research to find bits for boring wood up to

18" deep and accurate and clean without burn. I found some FAMAG bits but are expensive
Reply to
Electric Comet

I've used the Weller brand in AL and wood and they make very smooth countersinks.

Reply to
GeneT

Electric Comet wrote in news:m9pmeb$kke$6 @dont-email.me:

Are you building a boat? That seems to be the place where long holes are often needed. As far as I know, boatbuilders usually use a ship auger bit, usually in a brace rather than a power drill. But those bits tend to cut oversize, so they may not fit the "accurate" part of your requirement.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Augers can wander like crazy even in a brace. there's a guy that uses a metal lathe to bore holes in wood to get clean, accurate holes.

clearing the swath is critical to prevent heat and burn

I saw a machine on craigslist but never got a reply. 99% of posts on craigslist don't reply

I will probably buy a FAMAG bit although I found a japanese bit that looks like an auger but is advertised to meet my needs too

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:m9r9se$mgb$5 @dont-email.me:

Yeah, boatbuilders tend to do a lot of praying while they're drilling long holes. Fortunately, in boats the hole is almost always open at both ends, so you can drill halfway from both sides, which cuts down the error.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Deep drilling is always tough. Still a self feeding bit like a ship auger is probably as good a bet as anything. The key is in keeping the drive square, and feeding the drive at the rate the bit self feeds. For smaller holes its harder because the bit flexes more.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I use them. That is what machinists use, some come with a pilot bearing, so they stay centered, others do not. They are smooth as silk. They do a nice shearing cut.

Reply to
woodchucker

I have a nice long brace and bit extension. I want to say it is 30" or

  1. Dad bought it in the early 50's - Stanley naturally - so he could put holes through the big timbers used in our large Victorian house we had. I have bits that fit it - and several braces. We both used them before spade bits came out and continue to even afterwards on most things.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I use these all the time for countersinking. I use to use the "standard" toothed tools and they work well _except_ for the chatter which produces a rough hole in hard/grainy woods. You can reduce the chatter to insignificance with careful choice of feed rates, but it takes practice. I have the Lee Valley countersinks and they cut just as fast as the toothed version but with virtually no need to fuss around trying to get a clean taper.

Nothing against the toothed countersink bits, they still get the nod when cutting metal and other materials with uniform properties, but this is one case where I believe in 'the right tool for the job'.

-BR

Brewster

I have been using the single point countersinks for over 20 years. They outlast and outperform the other type. The countersinks are smooth and chatter free, especially in aluminum and plastics.

But once I found this type, I seldom use anything else. Any project that requires multiple countersunk flat head fasteners make these a must have. All the countersinks are exactly the identical/correct depth without thinking or guessing.

I got a set of countersink bits that I'd never seen before. They have

Reply to
DanG

Not sure what single point countersinks are.

The ones I got also are a fixed depth by design. No need for the foot piece in that set you mention.

They are cheaper and it turns out I got 6 sizes as the smallest in the set has a different size on each end. So 5 bits but 6 sizes.

Reply to
Electric Comet