good deal Quick-change drill/countersink

i did not know these existed but it is a good idea

price seems reasonable too

Reply to
Electric Comet

Punctuation?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have a large set of those. They were made for Craftsman. I like them, but I would prefer to just have 2 drills , one with a drill/countersink, the other with a screw bit.

But they are nice.

Reply to
woodchucker

I have a couple sets of those and will still use them for hardwood. Honestly, I haven't picked them up since I started using screws with self-drilling tips and countersinking heads.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well, you edited them out, but I saw correct use of a colon, a comma, a question mark and three periods.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

-MIKE- wrote in news:n4ngau$ev4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's a good thing he doesn't come from a Commodore 64 background, where they eliminated spaces to save memory!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Electric Comet wrote in news:n4nev6$3bv$3 @dont-email.me:

It's hard to tell from the picture on the webpage, but those don't appear to have tapered drills. If they don't, then they're essentially useless.

If you really want a set of drill/countersink bits, get a set of Fullers (no quickchange there, but at least they'll work the way they're susposed to).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

He'd probably delete all the '0's because they're of no value either.

Reply to
krw

With today's screws, why do you need tapered bits? They're available if you can find screws to go with them, though.

Reply to
krw

John, they are useful, you are assuming that we are still using old Wood screws. I don't use them much anymore. Most everything available now out classes those. They don't split the wood as easily, because there is no taper, they have deep threads, and cut like razors.

I have a set of tapered drills, and I haven't used them in 15-20 years.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yep, I've got an Hitachi version of that, from maybe a decade back. It gets lots of use.

I've got a microset countersink tool that came from an old Boeing Surplus bin, that's extremely handy, too. Countersinking really greatly helps with traditional woodscrews, but most available screws are odd bugle-head shapes now. :-(

Reply to
whit3rd

I'm sure I won't be the first to point out that tapered drill bits are for tapered screws. I don't think you can even find a tapered screw in most regular hardware stores anymore.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have at least 1000 screws in my shop the moment. Some are bronze, a few are stainless steel, most are plain old steel.

Nary a single one has a bugle head. That's because I used up all my drywall screws the last time I messed with drywall.

Reply to
dadiOH

You really do not need tapered drills for today's screws BUT !!!

Tapered drill bits compared to standard twist drill bits, at least for me, are much easier to start precisely where I want and I don't have any issue with bit wander at the beginning of the drilling. The pointed end tends to stay where you put it.

Reply to
Leon

now i will have to check the craftsman price i like it because it is one tool and no need to go looking for the other when i need it and it has the quick change

Reply to
Electric Comet

i wonder if the tool companies source out parts like this or they really do make them

i got a set of ryobi forstner bits that have been good

have noticed that too so far found if i get the countersink just right it conceals fine

still have old screws that i have got from craigslist or fle markets or wherever i come across them got a whole bin of nails and screws free just for taking them although have not had a need for duplex nails

Reply to
Electric Comet

i did not notice my drywall screws had a bugle head

is it considered a bugle head if the edges are rounded

i guess there are varying degrees of bugles

i have some cabinet screws that definitely have a bugle head

Reply to
Electric Comet

-MIKE- wrote in news:n4o5bt$gie$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Well that's just not so. The idea behind a tapered drill like the Fullers is to drill a pilot hole (the tapered part) followed by a clearance hole. And I don't care what sort of screw you use, if you're doing quality work you only want the threads engaged in the lower of the parts you're joining.

This Lee Valley set doesn't appear to drill a clearance hole in the upper part - and thus it's only useful for quick and dirty work, not for anything intended to be permanent.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

FWIW these are the ones I use and they are significantly less expensive than the Fuller. They seem to still drill as well as when they were new several years ago.

Leon

Woops!!! Sorry, I use the Snappy brand, not the Insty brand. Still inexpensive by comparison.

Reply to
Leon