Questions about quick-change drill stuff.

Hi. I just bought a Hitachi quick-change drill chuck. It is the add-on chuck which is held in an ordinary drill chuck. The quick-change drill chuck accepts quick change drill bits and screw bits (with magnetic holder).

The drill bits fit loosely in the quick-change chuck, they are not snug. My question is not whether that is OK. I just want to know; does any other brand of quick-change drill chuck hold the bits snugly? Or is loose just the way they all do it? By "loose" I do not mean they fall out, I mean they are held OK but not firmly.

Also. Are all of the quick-change type devices interchangeable, from the various manufacturers?

I realize they are not all called "quick change".

Thank you very much in advance.

Reply to
John Doe

They are snug enough if they don't fall out. There is meant to be a small amount of play in them.

Most standard drill bits and drivers should fine if the chuck itself is standard size.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

- Veritas Power Tool Guide

- Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo

SawEyes

I do not care for the quick change set ups. I absolutely do not like the added length that you have to deal with coupled with the wiggly bits that fit in them.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

I explicitely stated that judgement was not what I was asking for. But since you brought it up.

Almost all non-drill shanks nowadays are made to fit quick-change chucks.

My first use was to change the location of the vise on the work bench. ...Drilling small holes before drilling large holes was a breeze thanks to the quick-change chuck. ...Changing to the socket for screwing the big bolts down was a breeze. ...Incidentally, the added length of the quick-change chuck made easier work of it since the bolt holes are close to the vise body. ...Click Click Click and I was finished.

Apparently, snugness isn't necessary. The slack didn't bother me at all. One thing for sure, the bits will never twist in the chuck.

Looks like I am going to enjoy the quick-change drill stuff like my cordless drill, looks like one great combination.

But I do not doubt there are exceptions for certain applications.

Have fun.

Reply to
John Doe

For some reason, I just haven't been able to get used to mine (dewalt) either. As the OP said, they WORK fine, but there's just something about the way the drills fit in there that makes me feel less... I don't know.... secure? I don't mind it as much in the DRIVING mode, but for drilling, you are limited to the few drills they provide (suppose I could buy a wider range of sizes made for it, but I haven't WANTED to...), and I just don't care for the length and the "wobbliness" when it comes to drilling reasonably clean holes. I know they are very popular so it must be me. If I was a pro and seconds were money I'd probably use it, but for me the extra couple of seconds doesn't bother me. I use my ole' Makita to drill the hole and my new Dewalt to spin the fastener.

Reply to
brad