Wagner safety planer

Does anyone use or did use this item (in a drill press). Leichtung has one in their catalog that appears to be identical to the old Wagner. Your comments please.

Reply to
good ol'lare simon

Works, but not well enough for me to bring it out anymore. Learning to surface with a router on rails on endgrain pieces and such has kept it in the drawer for the last ten years or so.

Reply to
George

I used one to make a curved edge on some raised panels. It worked but needed a lot of sanding. It also didn't strike me as the safest thing in the world. Mine's going out at the next garage sale we have - along with my Ryobi detail sander :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I use it for thicknessing hardwoods for backs and sides in guitar building, because disk sanding is just too slow. The planer is agressive (you have to be very careful to keep downward pressure on the workpiece so it doesn't rise up into the cutter - easy to end up with nothing left in part of the workpiece. It is also downright scary - nothing between your fingertips and the spinning edge.

If I had a thickness sander, I wouldn't go near this thing. But I don't, and for a few things I need it.

Be very careful that your drill press spindle is at right angles to the work surface, and provide a nice big attached table that fully supports the workpiece.

JK

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
James T. Kirby