Up-to-date japanning information?

I just did a search in rec.woodworking on Google groups for information on re-doing the japanning on Stanley planes, and found a number of links that claim to lead to information about the process. The messages I read date from around 1996 to 2002. Every link I found, without exception, is broken.

Does anyone around here know about any currently-live links to information about the process and the materials to use to refurbish or replace the japanning on a Stanley plane?

Thanks, Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

hand column part way down the page under "Know-How".

Good luck

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

Reply to
Connearney

Reply to
DIYGUY

Thanks to everyone who responded. This looks like enough for me to start with.

Thanks again, Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

I ran across a reference, don't recollect where, and haven't been able to retrieve it since - that used the recipe in the above link. He/she reported that the resulting finish could be marked with the fingernail. After adding rosin in equal parts to the asphaltum, the finish was much harder. Take it or leave it, YMMV.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch