Sold property prices: lack of up-to-date data

I've just checked several web sites that purport to provide sold prices. One famous site doesn't return any hits for dates after 2004 for my postcode, despite the fact houses /have/ been sold in both 2005 and 2006.
The Land Registry itself seems to keep the information secret. I can't get at it - or it expects me to pay 3 for the info. Does anyone know a web site where this data is genuinely up to date? According to the "one famous site" the Land Registry data was last updated on 27 Oct 06.
MM
MM wrote:

Hi
ourproperty.co.uk is bang up to date. It has the price we paid for our house on there (we moved on September 15th).
Regards,
Steve

Sorry, Steve, but it doesn't. It doesn't even know of the existence of my road! At least other sites recognise that much. Their postcode database must be ancient.
MM
MM wrote:

http://www.houseprices.co.uk /
No annoying registration and maps

And no data, either! Doesn't even recognise the postcode! Says: "No data found". Even RightMove finds plenty of data on our road, just not up-to-date.
Added red faces, too, at houseprices, because they provide a "street index". "This section allows you to drill down to every major street in the database." it says. Trouble is, my street isn't in there, despite the fact that the various services manage to address bills here!
This is what I mean, there are a lot of sites out there with a promise to provide house price data based on the Land Registry, and even RightMove *used* to do it fairly well. Now, though, I have yet to find a site with up-to-date data.
MM
MM wrote:

Note that it would appear that the Land Registry don't have price information for all property purchases - a house in our road was sold/purchased last year and I always wondered why none of the property price sites had the details. Only when I went to the Land Registy website did I find 'Sorry, there is no price paid information available for this property.'
Does anyone know why this might be the case? All the other sales in the road appear to have this info available...
Mathew

The sale does not have to be registered for (IIRC) 2 years. Although most solicitors don't want paperwork hanging around for that long, it's possible the sale you refer to just hasn't been registered yet.
--
Selah

Mathew Newton wrote:

I was once told by a surveyor that commercial (banking) interests were not price registered. I don't know if this is right or not but I also know of properties that have been sold and for which no prices are available. Legin

Why would you expect to get Land Registry info. for nothing? All of these types of governmental organisation (e.g. Companies House) charge these kinds of small sum.
There is actually some very good and useful data to be had from these organisations, although sometimes one has to deduce it. Over the past couple of years, we have been tracking the profile, directorships, property and other assets of an individual who owed a deceased relative a considerable sum of money in commercial rent. By doing some fairly painstaking research in terms of time but at an outlay of about 30 in LR and CH fees, we were able to build up a pretty detailed picture. The outcome has eventually been a success in terms of recovery of said debt.
I have used similar records in connection with buying and selling of property. Only last evening I was talking to an acquaintance who had lost a lot of money on a property sale because the local authority record showed that the house had been built on landfill. It hadn't, and it was very clear that the local authority had made a mistake - probably in the transfer of records from a previous county council. By researching it, there was plenty of evidence that there wasn't and could never have been landfill on the site - dates, other applications, other infrastructure present etc. etc. That case continues.
You haven't mentioned the reason for wanting to know house prices. The best advice is that if it really matters to know rather than it being idle curiosity, then cross check with as many sources as possible.

None can be relied upon, and I have tried several of the well known ones using known examples and the data was either missing or wrong.