Inverse countersink?

Hi all,

Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?

Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this

*thing* would for rods?

Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Frank Erskine

Depending on the quantity and their lengths either a drill held in a vice, or lathe if you have access to one, and a file, but if you have lots to do it would be quite time consuming! Also the chamfers wouldn't be exactly the same but this may not matter.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I have a grinding wheel with a drill sharpening attachment. It is just a short length of angle iron that holds the end of the drill at a fixed angle to the side of the grinding wheel. It also chamfers the cut ends of rods quite nicely.

When the rods are too short to hold I stick them in the electric drill and spin them against a spinning grinding wheel (usually for putting points on). Rough cuts when the spins are in the opposite directions, face the other way for finishing cuts.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I was about to say the same thing.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

A lathe...

:-)

Also, put rod in drill chuck and use static grinding disk,

Also use bench grinder and carefully rotate rod ..

On balance, unless hyper accuracy is required, I'd do the latter.

Bench grinders are pretty cheap in the sheds.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

|Hi all, | |Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer |on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)? | |Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this |*thing* would for rods? | |Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

A grinding wheel? But that requires a modicum of skill to get the angle consistent.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks for the thoughts / ideas so far guys but in hindsight I realise I should have highlited the 'hand tool' direction a bit stronger (I did say 'like a hand countersink / pencil sharpner' but that was still a bit loose) ;-(

In this situation the (plastic) rods are 'fixed' (can't easily be taken to my Myford and aren't 'rod' section all the way down) and only need a rough chamfer on them, just summat better than a dead square end, to assist the entry of the rod through a cover as it's placed over them.

Being a sorta flexible nylony / plastic type material it doesn't take to being 'filed' as such and sorta ends up all hairy (that can be removed with some wet-n-dry but not the magic solution I was hoping for) ;-(

And being only ~ 4mm diameter not an easy size to file / rasp round in situ anyway?

So it want's to be to the rod, what a hand held countersink (rather than de-burring tool) would be to the edges of a drilled hole and used like a chalk on the end of a cue ..(as it portable / adaptable) ;-)

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener ...

Reply to
T i m

Yes, an inside-out countersink. They have 5 cutting edges, so that they run true.

Haven't seen one for sale in years, mine are a mixture of '50s and pre-war. Dead handy gadgets and I snap them up whenever I see one - excellent tools when starting with a diestock.

Reply to
dingbat

Get a bit of dowel, countersink the end. Get some wet-n-dry, form it into a cone, glue inside dowel.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another possibility is a stone for sharpening darts (the pub game type).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

How about a desk-mounted sharpener - sort of thing teacher used to have on their desk?

Reply to
John Stumbles

When I bought my Spot Welder it came with such a device that fits in an electric drill and sharpens the copper electrodes to a blunt cone - so go and spend £400 on a spot welder and you'll get one free !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Frank Erskine writes

An inspired answer Frank, I knew I'd seen a stone shaped like that but couldn't think where. They're still available too:

There even seem to be some electric ones:

Reply to
fred

The message from "Andrew Mawson" contains these words:

Cor, when I was a lad we had to do that with a file.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah, so they do exist!

So, if we new what they were called ... ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, I'm not sure how easy it would be to work 'hand held' but the mech itself mught be worthy of a closer look?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Imaginitive ;-)

I feel this particular plastic would respond better to a blade than the wet-n-dry but it's given me a thought re making my own?

If I bored said cone in the end of a bit of ally rod then cut a slot across the end (parallel to one face of the cone) so that I could slip various grades of grit paper into the side of the 'cone' ...

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well that means someone makes them though eh ..?

Any idea what the actuall cutters are in there please Andrew?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m