Marking guages?

Hi guys,

I got my Pax dovetail saw and I order 2 marking guages. One is a Veritas wheel marking guage. Is this guage supposed to be rolled on the board or just dragged? Do you guys find that these work as well as the standard marking guage? Who makes the best marking guages? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

I use the Veritas guage and I find it to be a really nice product. Just drag it along the board, and the wheel will cut your line. I like it much better than a standard guage, as I find the wheel to cut the wood fiber, as opposed to most pin type guages that tear fibers. The smaller surface area of the guages fence takes a little getting used to, but the tool has a nice feel to it.

An excellent guage that I have used (but cannot justify in terms of cost) is one called "Tite-Mark." Similar to the Veritas, but with a micro-adjustment feature. It runs around $75.

Reply to
mark scheidt

Mark

I own that one and the micro-adjust feature is now on the Veritas one as well. I like the Tite-Mark. Seems to be well made. Met the owner, creator last year and I bought a chisel hammer from him. The nice part was that that he wanted to make sure that the hammer fit me and not the other way around. So he spent about 15 minutes making sure it was comfortable in my hand. That kind of attention to detail and concern for his buyers won me over. I'd buy the next thing he comes up with!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

I got the Oakybo marking gauge from

after reading about it in FWW. I love it! Setup is so easy and you can always see the cutting blade(s) so use is simplified too.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Drag it so it cuts rather than crushes the wood fibers.

Reply to
Charles Erskine