Marking Guage Poll

I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin, knife or wheel style. Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

GarageWoodworks

Once, not ounce. :^(

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

gauge, not guage. ;^)

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Damn it, not damit... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Damit! Thank you. Corrected.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I wuz nevar good at speling. :^|

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

lock down tightly, but the Tite-Mark has the advantage of being able to operate the fine-adjust with one hand. Both of them have A2 wheels, which means they stay sharp for a long time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Tite-Mark.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I was chcking out the Veritas on line last night. The micro-adjust feature is very appealing. On the shop-fox I own, the fence will move with too much force. Th knife style gauge own is made of rosewood so the thumb screw really tightens down good against the wood. If it locks down tightly like you said, I might give it a try. Thanks

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I understand that dammit is now socially acceptable. Dagnabbit is allowed as well. GollyGeeWillikers is still tabu.

Reply to
Robatoy

The Veritas tightens like a router collet, so it compresses uniformly against the shaft. I like the microadjust, but save a few bucks and get the one without graduations.

The TiteMark uses a pointed thumbscrews that lock into a V-groove in the shaft.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Chris- Do you have a link for the Veritas? I might be looking at the wrong model.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Here's the Veritas one. It's available in standard and micro-adjust, as well as graduated/non-graduated:

Chris Friesen

I like the old Stanley. Can't remember the model number, but it has two arms with a wheel on one end of each and a pin on the other. If you only need one, the other retracts into the body out of the way. But you'd have to find an old tool dealer to get one - or be very lucky at an estate sale.

I've got 2 and am very careful not to lose them :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yep, that's the one I was checking out. It looks like it has a regular thumb screw, but I guess it's made differently than my piece of crap. Ok, I'm sold. I have been very happy with Veritas so far. Those Canadians sure do know a thing or two about woodwerk'n. :)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

On the microadjust version, you first lock the rear of the body against the shaft using the knurled nut at the back end of the head. This locks using a router collet style compression fitting. You then turn the front part of the body relative to the back of the body for fine adjustment. The fine adjustment locks with the thumbscrew.

One thing to watch out for on all the versions with a circular body...make sure they don't roll off your bench! I wish they'd machined one or two flats on the rim to prevent this (or made it oval like their

3-in-1 gauge).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thanks Chris.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Minor correction, at least if you are talking about this one

I own, it is not oval. It stays on the bench by virtue of the rod being mounted off-denter in the circular bearing disc.

I still prefer my old simple pin type, with knife-sharpened pin. My complaint with the 3-in-1 is that the natural place to grip it is also the tightening mechanism, and I find myself inadvertently loosening it.

OP: Alf's review of wheel-type marking gauges at the link below is the best I have found.

alexy

Yes, that's the one I meant. Goes to show how long I've been working on renovation projects rather than fine woodworking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Nice link! Thank you.