Marking Gauge Plans

I am just getting into WW and want to make most of my own jigs and other hand tools. I would like to see if I can find some plans for a marking gauge and a carving mallet

Thanks

Reply to
David Ewers

Shop notes has some nice plans for 1.

Dont remember the issue - my index is downstairs. Go to their website and do a quick search - you can find the issue number there.

Good luck

-Rob

Reply to
Rob V

You didn't say if you have a lathe. If you do, the mallet is an easy spindle project and the marking gauge is the center piece from the bowl bowl you just made with a hole drilled in it, a dowel in the hole and a thumbscrew in the side to hold the dowel. A sharpened wire brad through the dowel finishes the marking gauge. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

carving mallet is easy: Take a thick branch, cut a length for the head, drill hole, take thinner branch for the handle, cut to lenght, hot glue into hole. After the head cracks from dying: Reglue with hot glue. My very handy western forest sweet cherry mallet was made this way.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

"David Ewers" wrote in

: I am just getting into WW and want to make most of my own jigs and other : hand tools. I would like to see if I can find some plans for a marking gauge : and a carving mallet

Please try my web site - 'Marking Out Notes' - Make Your Own Marking Gauge'.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

Here's how I made my carving mallet: