Lost Link-- Small cyclone

In the last few weeks/months/ somebody had a link to a guy building small/medium cyclones to be used with existing DC setup's.

It's not the Bill Pentz(sp) site but somebody else.

Anybody remember where that site might be ?

Reply to
Pat Barber

Go to ebay and search on "cyclone separator".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Pat Barber

This the guy?

Unisaw A-100

Reply to
Pat Barber

If you buy this thing, you MUST report back to the wreck!! It looks too good to be true for the price he is charging. Based on what I have read by Pentz, I don't think the average 2hp or less DC would be able to be very effective at getting the fine dust when hooked up to this.

Reply to
Wyatt

Might be sufficient for planers or jointers (things that make shavings), but it's probably not quite up to the job of a table saw or sanding table.

Reply to
cmyers

Pentz is a pessimist. Not a bad thing when he's designing cyclones, but even the really poor ones are still pretty good.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I am thinking about it, because of a shop design, I can't have a big Oneida. I am looking at the newer Delta units with 3hp.

The Oneida folks really want you to have a ceiling mounted trunk line and my ceiling is 12'8" and even the guy at Oneida admitted that it was a wee bit high for their commercial 2hp unit.

The next step up is the 3HP and that's quite a step in price.

So, my basic plan is get the two bagger from Delta (50-763) and then I got to thinking about how bad I hate to empty those nasty bags and I remembered this guy's cyclone.

He started out with a small unit but now has one with a bigger intake and exhaust and for the money, it's really starting to look like a plan.

For well under $1,000, I can have 3hp DC with cyclone.

Wyatt wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I haven't done the complete read on his little site but I wonder how did you come up with that?

If I do in fact get one, I will do the full monty on the critter right here.

I can't believe the worst design in the world wouldn't get "most" of the stuff while the bags would get the rest.

I am surprised no one else has given this a serious look.

Wyatt wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I ask the same question, why do you say that ???

If it can handle a planer, a table saw will not generate 1/3 the debris, a 15" planer does.

If you match the cycl> Wyatt wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

A table saw will generate less mass but what the saw generates is much finer. The finer the dust the more velocity a cyclone needs to take it out. The idea is that with a good cyclone very little gets as far as that bags.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Look at it this way. With a jointer the actual action of the cutting is throwing the chips down a chute and it's got no where else to go. With a table saw it's got all kinds of places to go. Some goes towards the blow pipe and some goes elsewhere within the cabinet.

The trick to making an inefficient collector better is having the inlet as close to the source as possible. In the case of the table saw you want it right at the front of the blade, in a vertical position below the table and behind(ish) the blade in a vertical position at the top of the table. This way you can rely on the natural order of things to fling the dust into the pipe.

Unisaw A-100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

OK, speaking from one WITH close to the worst - or at least, cheapest - design in the world...

I use a 55 gallon fiber drum I picked up out of a roadside ditch. Cut a plywood circle with a routed groove to fit onto the drum lip (I drove up and back scanning the roadside for the snap-latch fiber lid with no luck) . Two holes are cut in the ply - one in center and one near the edge. Cemented in DWV pipe that fit my 4" DC hose. The pipe near the edge has an elbow inside the drum that's aimed toward the drum wall. The center pipe extends about 8" into the drum.

Connecting the center pipe to my Jet 1100 w/canister DC and the elbowed pipe through about 15' of 4" hose to my table saw, band saw, jointer or planer will catch practically ALL of the dust and chips. The clear DC bag ends up with only a small amount of particles swirling around over extended periods of DC-ing.

Given that my setup works so well, it's hard to believe that something that actually has the shape of a "real" cyclone collector won't work equally as well or better.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Snipped part about amazing scientific methods used by Owen to design his very own cyclone.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I have a used Torit sitting out in the yard for sale. It has a 3 phase motor that needs new bearings. Or it needs a single phase motor for residential use. It would be great for someone who does not mind the noise of a larger vacuum system. It is a model 20-5FB-255 which has four 11.5x70" flter tubes and uses 2 55 gallon metal drums for chip collection.

2500cfm at 7142 fpm 5" ext s.p. 2250cfm at 6428 fpm 6.6" ext s.p 2000cfm 5714 fpm 8.4" ext s.p. 1750cfm 5000 fpm 10" ext s.p

It moves a bit of air.

8" inlet, 5 hp Baldor motor 3600 rpm, 15x3.5" fan

Negative is that it requires 131.5 inches (11 feet) minumum to install and a bit more if you want to remove the motor for any service. i would have used the thing at home but when it was in the shop I built a sound box around the bags to knock down the noise. Fresh bearings would have quieted it a bit but it is nowhere near as quiet as a Jet

650. >I am thinking about it, because of a shop design, I can't
Reply to
Jim Behning

Reply to
Pat Barber

I am here. Atlanta. The shipping weight is 733 lbs and the net weight is 614. Since the unit was install back in 1988 think net weight plus

2 or 3 pallets. Full disclosure and pictures if you are >Where you at and do have any idea of weight ?

Jim B.

Reply to
Jim Behning