MY last two months

My wife hates winter so I agreed that we could spend two months in Medellin, Colombia.

We stayed at the same place as last year only doubled our time.

Day temperatures typically 80- 85 and around 60 at night. Perfect. Here back in Milwaukee it frickin' snowed last night.

They cleaned the place up 25 years ago and it's safe. Safer that most larger US cities.

Anyway , we rented a beautiful apartment for $600 a month. Even though I'm sure we paid more than the locals, here in Milwaukee, an apartment like that would be $1600 minimum. Double that in NY.

Two floors. Clean and spotless.

Three bedrooms ( we had guests part of the time) and two bathrooms, kitchenette, dining room, living room, laundry room and front porch with the most beautiful view one could imagine.

When we arrived the caretaker greeted us and said all was in good order except the shower in the lower bathroom was not working. He apologized and said he'd have to get a plumber "sometime."

Of course, as soon as he left , my wife rolled her eyes as I ran in there to check it out.

It worked just fine actually but had a small leak that squirted a small stream of water out the side. I tried hand tightening it to no avail.

Though they have big box hardware stores almost identical to the USA, they also have small neighborhood hardware stores everywhere. So small, you just stand on the sidewalk and ask for what you want.

It took me just a few seconds to walk to the closest one and get some plumber's tape and a vice grip. My Spanish is pretty rotten and when I tried to ask for a pliers he brought out one unsuitable, so when on the second try, it was a vice grip I took it.

Took me all of a minute to fix the leaky shower head.

Over the course of two months, in my spare time I performed every unneeded minor repair I could possibly find, including repairing a few lights and lamps.

After having used vice grips my entire life, this is the first time I've ever used the built-in wire cutter. It works great, all one has to do is open the jaws and set it for maximum tightness.

BTW: They closed up the country just as tight or tighter than they did here. Guess what. No one was hoarding toilet paper so we brought a few rolls back with us.

I'm thinking about selling them , which should pay for the whole trip :)

Reply to
philo

<snip>

I figure that if I don't eat those beans I'll be OK>

Back on topic though. I forgot to mention that as far as home repairs go, Medellin was pretty damn good. Due to the good weather most homes have no furnaces or air conditioners.

I saw the utility statement and the combined bill for gas, electricity , water and sewer was about $35 a month. It looked big though because the bill in Pesos was $140,000 !!!!

Also: The construction there is amazing. They use steel reinforced beams on dwellings two stories and more with Adobe brick. No wooden homes of buildings.

Though they do have fire departments there, in our two month stay we only heard sirens a couple of times.

Reply to
philo

We could have extended our stay but due to the lock down, we did not know how long it would have been.

My wife does want to move there but is happy just getting away for a few months during the winter.

The people there are great!

Honest too.

There was a used appliance store near our apartment that does not even have a door on the building. The refrigerators and washing machines just sit there a few feet from the sidewalk.

It is unreal.

One day while walking I paused for a few moments.

Two woman walked up to me to ask if I was OK.

Can you imagine such a thing?

Reply to
philo

<snip>

How did you find the place where you stayed? Did you use a travel site, an app, an agent, word of mouth, etc.?

My wife loves to travel, so once this virus thing blows over and assuming we're still alive and able to travel, Colombia sounds nice.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

More like 1952

That said, even though we stayed in an old section of town...

In other areas it was really modern. Since they essentially have nothing like UPS...the shopping malls are thriving and look way better than anything I've seen in the US

Reply to
philo

My wife did the research and this one got great ratings on Air B & B

We have friends who live six months a year in Medellin and three years ago they showed us the ropes.

Last year and this year we fared well on our own.

It's not like Europe where most people know English. We both know just a tiny bit of Spanish and managed to get by ok.

If you do not know Spanish I highly recommend you stay in El Poblado. There are a fair amount of US-Americans there and in that area English is spoken.

My wife any I are probably never going to go to Europe or NY again. Colombia is a paradise.

If anyone here wants more info, I don't mind email.

As a matter of fact, since most of us won't be doing anything for the next...who know how long, I actually would look forward to it.

My gmail addy is philo565

Reply to
philo

If the world ever gets back to normal we might look into that. We are always looking for something different and we like being out in the woods. I assume that is easy to do in Colombia. In the 80s my wife was buying roses from there and we had an invite but at that time I wouldn't go without a couple of guys carrying machine guns escorting us.

Reply to
gfretwell

After this is over I highly suggest Colombia. Most parts of it are safer than the US.

Though they have a lot of countryside areas, do not expect forests at all like the US.

One day my wife pointed out a cactus, a palm tree, a "needle" tree and a "leaf" tree all growing right next to each other.

Reply to
philo

How could you have missed the point that the drug lords were literally mowed down by the Colombian military. Most parts are safer than the US

25 years ago yes. Medellin was the most dangerous place on earth.
Reply to
philo

More like $8K in Manhattan/Brooklyn, unless you want to live in the worst parts.

Reply to
trader_4

WOW

Not likely we'll ever go there again

Reply to
philo

By coincidence, I heard about this tonight:

The radio was talking about invasive species and cocaine hippos.

Reply to
micky

By coincidence, I heard about this tonight:

The radio was talking about invasive species and cocaine hippos.

Reply to
micky

LOL

I did not even know about them until I got home.

Some say the hippos are a good thing.

Reply to
philo

I never met a hippo I didn't like.

Although I almost killed one.

At the Amsterdam zoo they sold packages of what looked like vanilla wafers. Nearby were the hippos. I was throwning them one at a time at at one and I guess I got him right in the middle of his little throat. He went under water, and came up again and down and up and down and up and down and up and I thought he was choking but I was frozen in my spot. Finally he stopped and seemed to be okay.

Hmmm. He might have been choking but to be dying, I'd have to assume that his throat and windpipe are connected and that might only be true for people.

If you go again, they'll still be there, although I don't know if you can find them.

Reply to
micky

I've had too many close calls with roaming hippos. They tend to graze along the sides of streams at night, and when the stream crosses a road, so do the hippos. Only they go OVER the road, not under it. Only

2 small portions of a hippo reflect light - and you don't see them from behindf ("hippos don't have tail lights"was a common expression) Hit one in a VW beetle or a 204 Peugeot and you don't stand much of a chance!!!
Reply to
Clare Snyder