Lee Valley Bessey Sale

As many of you probably know, Lee Valley has a sale on Bessey Clamps - so long as you order before Jan 29.

(go to

for the details.

The set that is $125 Canadian has two 12 inch clamps and two 24 inch clamps and the setup blocks.

My buddy runs a tool store, and says that the cheapest he's ever been able to get this set for (his cost) is $165.

So how in the world can Lee Valley afford to sell them at $125 ? To make it worth their while, their cost can't be greater than $100.

Great deal - I've got two sets of clamps on order!

Brian

Reply to
B Man

Hi -

Our cost is significantly higher than $100...it's a good deal, especially if you're willing to wait a bit. We've sold every kit we can lay our hands on, and everything the plant can produce for the next month or so...(so far)....

I suspect that we'll soon be booking delivery in March.

In the US - the deal is just as good - though one can come close from Amazon, with free shipping, and the right coupon... we just won't sell at a loss, and are unable to go any lower.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Bought a set from Amazon in Dec, paid 139.99 us, and shipped for free, delivered in less then a week (ordered Sunday, delivered Friday.)

Wrote to them about the Leevally price, will see if they will match price, less 10% of difference, I could always use more clamps.

I'll post answer from Amazon.

Reply to
Nick Degidio

Also, look at the Gross Stabil clamps on sale at Woodcraft, 25% off list, so 24in clamp for $25.99, 40in for $33.50, and 48in for $35.99

You can get 4 of the $24in clamps for $104 - and shipping is very attractive. Worked up a order for 6 of the 24in and 2 of the 48in, total shipping (FedEx Ground, got here in 2days) was $12.99 for 2 packages that totalled 70pounds in weight

Make a set of setup blocks out of glued up baltic birch ply and save some money over the Bessey's

John

Reply to
John

If these guys had *any* idea of the size of the bun fight this has caused in far away Australia, and the machinations under way to help us get a piece of the action....

Suffice to say we have felt we missed out due to the tyranny of distance and shipping cost, and Lee Valley are (as usual) doing their best to keep his upside down customers satisfied.

It's appreciated. It is also interesting to observe LV becoming a yardstick for service levels in a country that doesn't even have a store (yet! 30 deg today Rob).

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy

Hey, I'm in a CANADIAN CITY that doesn't have a store yet. (-64C with windchill a few days ago, Rob)

On the upside, LV doesn't charge provincial sales tax when I order by mail, but have to where they have a brick 'n mortar presence.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Unless, of course, you live in Edmonton or Calgary, where you have a Lee Valley AND no sales tax! :)

Clint (who moved to Edmonton 6 months ago and still hasn't made it to the Lee Valley yet *sigh*)

Reply to
Clint

I'm interested to see if Amazon will match LV's price in the US because AFAIK LV doesn't have a brick-and-mortar store in the US and according to Amazon's price matching policy posted on their website this is one of the criteria for their offer. I just recently ordered a Delta drill press from Amazon when Lowe's was having their 20% off sale and when I called Amazon the rep. asked me for the DP model # and the location and phone # of the Lowe's in my area. He put me on hold while he called Lowe's to confirm the price and after they had he took my order. I got Lowe's sale price plus 10% of the difference between Lowe's sale price and Amazon's price which was like $2 but it was a smokin' deal. I ended up paying about $73 for a DP that I had seen on Amazon for $109 only a month or two before.

Reply to
dalemartindesigns

For the first time, I can say you're officially on the list... :)

(and in the top 3)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Go ahead and make 'em match.... :)

Lee Valley Tools Ltd.

814 Proctor Avenue

Commerce Park

Ogdensburg, New York

13669

That's where all the mail-orders go. It's also a tax nexus for NY state...and the address on our shipping labels.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

I have 2 sets backordered with LV -- expected shippment on 3/18. Wanting them a bit sooner, I called Amazon.com to see if they would match. They refused saying that they won't match on an item backordered for 2 months. At least that was their excuse. The reality might be that there is just no reasonable margin left for them. Well done LV! As much as I appreciate amazon, it warms my heart to see a company with a human face beat them at their own game.

Lars

Reply to
Lars Stole

I'm guessing this is a warehouse and wouldn't meet Amazon's qualifications. Every online seller has a physical presence somewhere.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Well - there are 6 people there full-time...

Reply to
Robin Lee

On Friday 21 Jan 2005 12:05 am, Rob Lee scribbled:

No fair! I asked first!

Luigi Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is yknet dot ca

Luigi Zanasi

Can you help expand the horizon for this poor uneducated, untraveled Amer'cun?

Reply to
patrick conroy

WOOHOO!

Oops... You should see the look I just got from SWMBO.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Gee - I've been waiting all day for that!

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee

You know, LV has erned my business about a million times over. This bessey deal is just the icing on the cake.

I just wish they sold cars, houses, appliances, TVs, etc. I would never need to go anywhere else.

Simply, the best retailer I've ever dealt with.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

"Bun fight" - as in a bunch of guys throwing buns at each other.

Oz term, amongst it's meanings:

a meeting where contentious issues are noisily debated. A melee, a turbulent disturbance, a riot,

One step removed from an all-out shit fight.

colloquially yours,

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy

... snip

Somehow Rob, I don't think *that's* the look he got. :-)

Mark & Juanita