I Never Saw a Dumpster I Didn't Like

stopped by a dumpster behind a home decor store that was renovating and picked up a pickup load of stuff early this morning. I'm not sure what it is but it is sure heavy and it's not oak. There must be a dozen pieces of the stuff in my haul and more in that dumpster. I had an appointment at my health club so I had to leave a lot more behind.. I can vision a piece of fine furniture with this stuff. Maybe even another ultimate router table.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Wow, a gloat deserving of a roaring "you suck". That is some fine figured MDF (morteius definium fir). Judging from the perforated stuff it might have come from Iraq. You can surely make some fine furniture now. Check Ikea for design ideas.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Keep your eyes peeled for pallets. Some of these are made from hardwood and if you select the chunks well some of these will clean up nicely.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

C'mon, Bill. Larry just likes a freebie as much as the rest of us. I'm sure your tounge was planted firmly in cheek during most or all of that post. The legs (6) on my new couch were unacceptable, so it's sitting on refinished sections of old dining table (oak, I think) legs, found by the side of the road. Stained 'em to match the new mahogany floor. Some new product display racks for my bottle stoppers are made from found plexiglass from the back of a plastic company, what they consider small scraps. All of the cabinets, stands, drawers etc. in my shop were built with used melamine, salvaged from cabinets my "day job" company was discarding. I still have about 6 sheets left, if I ever expand the shop. Why should this useful stuff go to fill up a landfill? Reduce - Reuse - Recycle!

Reply to
gpdewitt

More proof that Larry is indeed the Duke of Dumpster. j4 :-)

Reply to
jo4hn

Check out your local printer who prints large sheets of paper. They buy the paper bulk loaded on skids. Because the paper is easily damaged, the skids are usually of high quality wood with no spaces or gaps in the top. Also bulk paper needs to be strapped down to the skid so they need to use a top or lid to prevent the straps from damaging the paper, this also needs to be made of good quality material and is often a sheet of plywood. I am still working on my stack of skid lids that I collected on my job before I retired from the printing business. They were made out of 7/8" thick dressed pine. After removing marks, cutting out knots and some minor wood damage, it makes good wood for jigs, supports and other smaller items -- best of all it was free.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Shazzam! You found a muthaload of the fabled Wormy MDF!

Congratulations!

watson - who is thinking of posting some pix on how to turn wormy mdf into cheery aid cherry - my most favoritest wood.

(don't worry none - i'm just foolin')

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Yes, TIC and I know Larrys was too. He knows MDF when he sees it and would never mistake it for Oak. First rule of Dumpster Diving is to know shit from shinola.

--

******** Bill Pounds - who's legs have dangled out of more than one dumpster.
Pounds on Wood

Manure has its uses, too.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I think that perforated stuff was that new lightweight building material used in space, wasn't it?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

No, that's the highly-sought birdseye HDF!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Wormy MDF... pfft I'd give up my entire inventory of wormy and spalted MDF for a tidy little stash of MDF Burl.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

no problem...

mix vinegar and baking soda... apply to surface apply stain of choice while mixture is damp watch chemical reaction and see your burl forming..