Securing a dumpster

Greetings!

I'm looking for some ideas, on how to secure a dumpster lid.

The problem I have about putting a lock on, the hauler comes in the wee hours of the morning. So, it must be free to empty the garbage out.

We have a store, which we throw out boxes etc. The other day, one of the employees heard a cry for help. It appears a very large lady had climbed on top of some wooden crates, and attempted to fetch some corrugated boxes from the dumpster. In her venture, she had slipped head first into the dumpster. The employees could not rescue her from the dumpster. The local firefighters had to retrieve her from the dumpster.

So, as you can see, we are in a pickle. We desire some advice. Any thoughts are warmly greeted.

johoman

Reply to
johoman

"johoman" wrote in news:46c2597a$0$18944$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

What a silly place you live. Leave the boxes out for all the large ladies who want them. How about the Hauler's office? Do they have a suggestion?

Reply to
Mr.Spock

Give him a key.

Reply to
Noozer

what's the problem?

Steve Barker

Call your trash company and ask them. Most trash companies run into this problem routinely, and have service options to address it, like a different style of dumpster, or possibly a lock THEY give you. They usually don't like customer locks, because then they have to keep track of a key. Comapny locks would likely all be keyed alike. They REALLY want to avoid any solutions that require driver to get out of the truck- that slows the route down.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Call your trash hauler company. It's very possible they know what to do in matters like this. They may have a bunch of padlocks on the same key, so the truck operator can open all the dumpsters. Or, they may have some kind of noise dampening, so that the fat lady yelling doesn't bother your employees quite as much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid enough to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the economy hadn't been destroyed by neocon idiocy?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Yeah, Benjamin Franklin has a lot to answer for.

Reply to
mm

What he said. Until resolved, how about locking 6 nights a week and rememmbering to leave it unlocked the night they come.

Reply to
mm

Our trash company offers dumpsters (for an extra $10.00 per month) that have a locking device built in. We have to use a key to open it, but when the truck latches onto it to dump it, it trips something that flips back the security bar with the lock on it automatically. Our problem was neighborhood people putting trash, tires, cans of paint, etc. in our dumpster.

Reply to
Keith Stelter

on 8/14/2007 9:40 PM johoman said the following:

Does this happen often, or is this the only time it happened? If the latter, don't do anything. If you suspect that this is the start of a new run of dumpster raiding, keep the area around the dumpster free of climbing materials.

Reply to
willshak

If you know what night he comes to empty it, leave it unlocked for that one night. The rest of the time you keep it locked. You will have reduced your exposure by 85%.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Agreed. The trash company has a MUCH greater invested interest in this problem than you.

Can you imagine the furor if they compacted some homeless granny lady?

On the other hand, perhaps this happens all the time and no one ever notices...

Reply to
HeyBub

Giggle. What indicator shows a "destroyed" economy? Unemployment? Housing starts? Producer Price Index? Consumer Price Index? Wages? GDP?

And a "Neocon" has little to do with the economy; Neocons are concerned with foreign policy, not domestic.

Reply to
HeyBub

It could be happening every week and this is only the first time anybody noticed there's someone in the dumpster.

If, however, you're in California, I'm sure there's a regulation requiring an wheelchair ramp so that the handicapped homeless can have equal access to the dumpster's content.

Do you have a sign, in Braille, on the dumpster so that the vision impaired homeless can determine the dumpster's contents? Is the sign also in Spanish?

I won't even go into the flagrant abuse of the environment involved in "dumping" cardboard boxes instead of recycling (good) or facilitating re-use (better).

Reply to
HeyBub

Actually, for me it was a lot worse during the Clinton years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Possibly the incredible foreign debt the US owes, the overspending by the government and the US dollar falling through the floor in value would contribute to the poor economy.

Reply to
EXT

Ah, okay I understand.

  1. Foreign debt is good.
  2. I'll agree that government spending is beyond bad. But neocons are not responsible for the overspending - the Democrats control the purse.
  3. A falling dollar is double-good - it dramatically increases the demand for U.S. products.

"Poor economy?" Hardly. The U.S. economy, by any objective standard or measurement is beyond robust; it is approaching heavenly. There hasn't been such a superb economy since the years immediately after WW2, if then.

Just consider one example: gasoline prices. While current prices seem high, they're not. First they have yet to break the record for gas prices (adjusted for inflation). Second, dollar/gallon is not the best measure: dollars/mile driven is much better. The average mileage for a passenger car has doubled since the early '70s, essentially cutting in half the cost per trip. And thirdly, the cost of gasoline as a percentage of disposable income has also dropped considerably.

Bottom line: We notice the rise in gasoline prices, but the rises don't really affect us as much as a much lower price used to.

Reply to
HeyBub

As long as you are filthy rich. If not, you income has gone down over the Bush years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F