Home A/C Unit not Cooling Home Down

I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper

80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it should be blowing. HELP!
Reply to
lridgeway

When was the last time you had it serviced?

Reply to
<kjpro

Sounds like you need better insulation. a 26 degree drop is fantastic. Perhaps closing blinds, and getting better windows and a light colored roof. How&#39;s the attic ventilation?

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

snipped-for-privacy@realtracs.com wrote in news:1187143567.347710.215020 @m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

23-26 temp differential is actually very good!

How do we describe on a newsgroup how it should feel???

As mentioned, when was the last time it was serviced?

Your differential is good so I would think either you are not getting enough volume of cool air out of the registers or it is escaping from the house faster than can be supplied.

Do you have tin ductwork or flexible duct? Flex duct is notorious for coming loose at the trunk or at the register.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Difference from what? One number is the temperature coming out of the vents. What other number are you subtracting that from?

Reply to
mm

Shut off your vents downstairs, and open up the vents upstairs. Cool air naturally migrates down. Are your pipes by the inside coil getting cold and sweaty? If not, sounds like you need a freon boost.

Reply to
Mikepier

I had it serviced about a year ago where they took it apart and cleaned everything good. We leave blinds closed, and the insulation in the attic appears to look good. I have the blown in white cotton looking insulation that comes up over the 2x10 ceiling joists.

Reply to
lridgeway

This would make sense if the problem was the downstairs was getting cool, but the upstairs was still too hot. And even then, you would only want to close a small portion of the downstairs vents.

The system has a temp differential of 23-26 degrees, which is not indicative of a freon issue. If anything it could suggest that the air capacity moving through the system may be low. Did this system ever work correctly? I&#39;d suggest getting a service visit.

Reply to
trader4

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:06:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@realtracs.com wrote Re Home A/C Unit not Cooling Home Down:

In addition to what others have suggested, it&#39;s possible that the unit is under-sized for the size of the house. Is this a new problem or has it always been a problem?

Reply to
Vic Dura

Closing down vents is a good way to cause even more issues.

BTW, if you need refrigerant, there&#39;s a leak in the system, which needs to be addressed.

Reply to
<kjpro

Well, it&#39;s time for another appointment.

Make sure they check for proper airflow through the evaporator!

Reply to
<kjpro

Oh. Does it need to get screwed by an AC professional? They seem to think that they are real studs, but the air conditioner and everyone else thinks otherwise.

Reply to
dontreply

Might as well call the Maytag repairman, Eh?

Reply to
<kjpro

What you want is _gapless_ insulation coverage, above and in the walls. And absolutely minimal leakage, both above and below. Just as much insulation as you can manage.

Attic ventilation- think fan-boosted- would be a real + for you.

Where are you situated? If between Tulsa and Chattanooga, you&#39;re getting especially hammered with heat this summer. Which might well be reason to:

1) take insulation to the "next level" or more- sealing, too. 2) give up on cooling the whole house, and focus on some rooms, like on NE side. J
Reply to
barry

I had to come back to this message after seeing it quoted several times.. Why the heck do you have 2 by TEN ceiling joists? Are you sure they&#39;re not

2x4 or 2x6? If your insulation is just barely covering a 2x6, then you&#39;re about 7 to 8 inches short of a good job.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

It&#39;s not rocket science, but there is some specialized knowledge involved, and a bit of experience can help, too.

The root problem is economics. Some of the folks who do such work for a living seem to think they&#39;re entitled to bigger yachts than they actually deserve. A secondary problem is that some (seemingly many) of them are arrogant and think more of themselves than is warranted.

Reply to
CJT

I&#39;m glad someone gets a yacht! I don&#39;t have one. Do you have one? Because it apparently is big!

Reply to
Zyp

You guys are too serious. I think that he meant definition 4.a below:

ser·vice (sûr&#39;vi(s) n.

tr.v., -viced, -vic·ing, -vic·es.

  1. To make fit for use; adjust, repair, or maintain: service a car. 2. To provide services to. 3. To make interest payments on (a debt). 4. a. To copulate with (a female animal). Used of a male animal, especially studs. b. Slang. To have sex with.
Reply to
~~~~~