Another Dumpster Find

I just picked up this antique, walnut rocking chair next to the dumpster down the street at the church. All it needs is some TLC, a new arm and reglueing some joints. The upholstery appears rather new and has some of those nasty metal angled things holding the seat on. It appears there is a lot of handwork on the piece. Carving another arm should be a fun and interesting experience.

3/4 view(~60k)
of splat and back.(~80k)
view(~80k)
Lawrence L'Hote

Nice find! Give that baby some love and attention and it will be a great chair.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Enjoyed your websites, Larry. I guess you don't need to be told, that you do not put a new patch on an old coat. I was wondering, if there is a pressed design under the upholstery on the crest rail?

It is surprising what you might find in a dumspter, though. There was a modular cabinet manufacturer, near my house and not to mention any names, who bought all his material s4s...why? I don't know. But, his employees would pull a stick off the rack, cut six inches off, and throw the rest in the trash. This company filled two six-yard dumsters twice every week. I got in the habit of stopping by, but soon, had more wood than I could store. Which, reminds me of one of my wives. Only woman I have ever known, who could turn two bags of groceries into ten bags of garbage... My policy has always been, nothing goes into the trash until it is sawdust, and only then, if there are no vegetables to be mulched.

Reply to
daclark

looks like maple to me.

rhg

Bernie Hunt wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

All that, and a couple of coats of latex paint, and you will have a nice rocker there! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Since I'm not burdened with trying to make a living from my woodworking(& etc) I pretty much do what I feel like. I'll even patch the new patch on the old coat.

I'm not sure where the crest rail is. I've pulled back the upholstery on the rail beneath the front of the seat and it looks like it's made for upholstery with a groove along the top of all the seat rails for tacking the fabric.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Now, That's a possibility that I didn't think of.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

I agree. Particularly the figure on the fourth slat from the left.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

yup, that's a stunner

Reply to
imaginuity

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (daclark) wrote

"not to mention any names" - sounds like code for I don't want anybody else to elbow in on my best source of good stuff.

Reply to
Dan Oelke

I used some maple in making a cradle, stained it and it looked a lot like what's in you picture.

bob g.

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway