Klingspor Sanding Belts / $29 for 30 belts (!?)

Has anyone here ever used Klingspor sanding belts? I got a catalog in the mail and they look like a legit place. In addition to selling a lot of stuff they also say that they are a manufacturer of abrasives and have a deal where you can get 30 assorted belts for $29. I would usually think that belts for that price would have to be junk, but they make a pretty good case for their stuff. So I went online, and their site is awful, but the rest of what they sell doesn't look like junk, so maybe this is a real deal.
I would recommend requesting a catalog, It's put together a lot better than the site was.
Belts: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/213343D0/mac/additmdtl.mac/showItemDetail?item=BZRD42400&sku1=Y&shipRemaining=0&daysBetween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsBetween=0
If you go to the site, it's worth a click to look at "Customer Projects." ========= These belts are manufactured from the same "industrial" material as our other belts. To increase our manufacturing efficiency, we can use the smaller "leftover" pieces to make these standard size belts for your portable belt sanders. This helps us use up material and helps you because we can make these out of our best material very inexpensively.
Includes one 5 pack of the following grits: 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, & 180
"Kimosabe" wrote:

Klingspor is very much a legit operation.
My #1 supplier of abrasives, especially anything finer than 36 grit.
Pearl out of Canada is #2 for 16-36 grit..
Lew

For 16 I wait for winter storms to get the road grit from the top of Rex Hill, then make my own. They have Bob Wire and his Doberman guarding the stored grit.

RE: Subject
Typical German product.
Think of Klingspor as the Festool of abrasives, but at more competitive pricing.
Lew

They're quite legit. I buy my sheet and ROS sandpaper from them in bulk and have been very satisfied. As for belts I have found that the glue joint on the belt (anybody's, not just Klingspors) usually fails after a few minutes of use when the belt gets a year or two old. As I don't use my belt sander often I don't buy belts in bulk, just one or two at a time from the local HW store. BTW, busted belts last a looooooong time when sanding at the lathe. Art

Run a little thin CA glue on the seam of old belts before you start. It helps.
The Loctite at wally-world is pretty good.
--
Jim in NC

On 11/24/2010 4:32 PM, Artemus wrote:
.... As for belts I have found that

My 6 x48 20 year old belt that came apart has been working fine for months now and all I did was glue it with some super glue gel. I did it on a lark for a temp fix expecting it to fail in a hurry. My first attempt did fail, but it was done haphazardly. It lasted long enough for me to think it might work if I took more care in glue up, so I took my time, and clamped it together. Damned thing works good as new.
--
Jack
Water proof belts and resin bonded. Great service and long lasting. I've been using them for 10 or more years. In fact my ID card I have from them surprises them when I call in. A very old program long forgotten.
On 11/24/2010 2:36 PM, Kimosabe wrote:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/213343D0/mac/additmdtl.mac/showItemDetail?item=BZRD42400&sku1=Y&shipRemaining=0&daysBetween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsBetween=0

Must bet myself one or two of those there belts, if they last ten years or more

And I will "GET" myself one at the same time
George W Frost wrote: ...

The adhesive won't hold up indefinitely...I love the belts and the value but unless you're using them pretty consistently, the adhesive is only rated for a year. It'll last well longer than that, but I've lost a box or two over the years when other things intervened or type of work changed and they haven't gotten used.
Have had long conversation w/ their engineers on resuscitating them w/ no outright success--their adhesive is proprietary and unavailable to consumer (for one thing, it's cure process is equipment-costly). When old, they fail within a few minutes when heat builds up...
That said, others of similar age fail, too...
Recommend Klingspor still, just don't expect them to last indefinitely.

Looking at them , the prices comparing them to what I can here is well under half the cost but, I really can't justify buying a couple of hundred, I am not going to live as long as they will last
Who says hundreds. You can buy 1. A box of belts is for those who use them.
I buy box of rolls - fine size. Those are a mixture of cloth and some paper - vary with and grit - nice sheets or pads for my palm sander.
Martin
On 11/25/2010 2:50 PM, George W Frost wrote:

Martin, I would have to buy hundreds of them to make the transport costs viable
Jumping to conclusions are we ? I'm their customer for that long. I have a lot of belts and rolls in the shop. I grind metal with them so they are tough. They last longer than any type I have found.
Martin
On 11/25/2010 2:06 AM, George W Frost wrote:

Not a bad product but my experience with Klingspore PSA paper is that they think the "P" stands for Permanent.