sanding belts, you're choice?

Well I got out a new box of 3 x 21 120 grit sanding belts to do some sanding on a butcher block table top, and in a matter of five minutes I went through five of them. The glue seams would not hold. The sander was tracking perfectly.

Admittedly, these belts while a new box had been stored for a while, maybe 5-6 years in my shop that is not climate controlled. I have a 4 x 24 that I use most of the time so the smaller sander gets less use. However, I thought the shelf life would be a little better.

So what is you're favorite belt, particularly in terms of sanding longevity and shelf life?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Pretty much the same equipment here, but I've never had more than an occasional problem with the seams separating. Well, excepting a guide that wore out and started pulling the papers apart! That one hit the junk pile .

I imagine it's pretty much a matter of getting what you pay for? Dunno - it'll be interesting to see what responses appear. The only actualy old belts I have are a bunch of metal oxides given to me about ten years ago, and last I used them, they were fine, which was about two weeks ago. Unfortunately they're only 80 grit though. Maybe grit makes a difference? I'm sure the sander design has something to do with it, too, epsecially if you tension it too tight; my 4 x 24 is adjustable and variable speed, the other one's just a spring tension and constant 2-speed (zero or max!). And of course, a lot older.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

My favourite 'belt' is Black Bushmills.... ooops...sandpaper...

okay..

120 grit Klingspor 3 x 24.
Reply to
Robatoy

I really like the Klingspor belts, also...

I use them on both the 6 x 36" sander and the 1 x 42" grinder and am very happy with them..

Mac

mac davis

If you look in the fine print, most manufacturers won't warranty the belt seam for more than 1 year although they usually last longer. But yours is not the first story I've heard like that with 5 year old belts. I use Klingspor and have an alumina zirconia 24 grit I use for carving that's going on 4 yrs old and still hanging in there. But the day it flys apart I won't be surprised. Belts and PSA sandpaper have shelf lives and are not a good thing to stock up on. If you ever run across the guy at the flea market selling belts really cheap, don't make eye contact and just walk on by.

Reply to
Max Mahanke

Well thanks all. I've learned a few things. Looks like Klingspor (I should have guessed that) and keep inventory to a minimum.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Klingspor, and Klingspor. Cost a little more, but worth it. Mutt

Reply to
Pig