What's "scuff sanding"?

Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

Reply to
al

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:f5hco4$q8$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I'd use 240 grit,80-100 will leave visible scratches,may even take off the primer.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Correct.

Reply to
Abe

A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Kate O|||||||O

Correct.

Reply to
Kate

I find a scotch-brite pad or similar does great for things like this.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be best/safest. Thanks...

Reply to
al

"Kate" wrote in news:_k1fi.2189$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

and doesn't leave steel fibers to screw up your finish like steel wool does.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

al wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Don't the packages LIST the grit equivalent?

Or like some sandpapers,say coarse/medium/fine.(80-100/180-240/400-600)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Steel wool, and a good tack cloth.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I use the red ones.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I thought he was talking about a door, not a show car.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"Steve Barker" wrote in news:MOqdnX4GgpUw3OLbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

For wood,especially;finishes will show RUST spots from the steel fibers. If you're gonna do it,do it right. The first time.

Reply to
Jim Yanik