generac 5KW generator stator assembly removal - how?

I am replacing the 10hp engine on my 5kw generac PWR+5 series generator since it's blowing oil. I am trying to remove the stator assembly from the tapered engine shaft. I know it has to be pressed off somehow but is the inside of the stator assembly shaft threaded (it doesn't seem to be) and if it is, what size bolt is required. If this is not the way to do it, can anyone advise me of the proper procedure.

I have the new engine sitting here and this is my only hangup.

Reply to
Oliver Hardy

No clue but I'd look at a parts diagram and see what it looks like if it wasn't obvious. I'm assuming there is an exploded parts diagram either w/ the unit itself or online...

--

Reply to
dpb

I followed that, that's how I got as far as I did. Got the rear cover of the stator assy off and just need to pull the stator off the tapered engine shaft so I can unbolt the front cover from the old engine.

Reply to
Oliver Hardy

Link so others can see???

--

Reply to
dpb

Here's the link to the manual with the parts blowup/

Oliver Hardy

Your other hangup might be that you're trying to replace an engine which has a fairly simple problem.

Interested?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not really, cylinder is scored. Already checked it out. Have a new crated engine sitting here waiting to be installed.

Reply to
Oliver Hardy

I'll take the old engine.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Oliver,

A press fit is very unlikely. I'd expect a splinted end such as the stator has with the fan or a keyway. Since you have the new engine already, look for a keyway (slot) on the output shaft. If a key is holding the two shafts together get a couple of big pry bars. to separate the motor from the stator. Get a new key, don't use the old key, when assembling.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Oliver,

Looking a little more closely at the parts diagram suggest that the stator and the engine are bolted together by bolts running though part #9, the adaptor plate, Undo the bolts #16 and #69 and hope that things come apart. I still think there must be a key in there

Reply to
David Martel

Unfortunately, unless the stator assembly os removed, you can't get to the bolts (4) #69 and there is no keyway on the engine shaft.

However, I did manage to remove the stator assembly and this is how. Since the engine was shot, I removed the 4 bolts that hold the case on the rear of the engine then inserted a 3/8" steel rod through the stator assembly and gave the tapered shaft a few wacks with a 3lb sledge. This didn't remove the stator assembly from the engine but the engine from the stator assembly. Worked perfectly! Then I slid the stator assy from #9 and unbolted it from the rear engine cover.

Now on to the reassembly......

Reply to
Oliver Hardy

This outta be good. :)