Just got a bandsaw

Page 2 of 6

Good to know. Thanks. We're taking a trip up to Atlanta tomorrow so I'll give the Lagunas in the Woodcraft and Rockler stores a good look.
On 7/16/2011 12:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Keep in mind that Laguna BS'S are built in at least 2 countries, I suspect that the latest versions might be Aasian. The HD series are Italian, and the non HD versions used to be build in Bulgaria IIRC. To the best ofmy knowledge however the guides on all the saws are of the 10 point ceramic variety. If Minimax is there give them a good look too.

Well, my field trip was somewhat fruitful (scored a Forrest Dado King at 25% off, at Highland Woodworking) and I took a good look at the LT14 and LT14x14SUV at Woodcraft (and the latter at Rockler). There is enough difference that I think I'll eventually go with the LT14x14SUV even though it's about 75lbs heavier and $300 more.
I looked closely at the tensioning mechanism. It's certainly not filled with grease but there was oil dripping off it. It certainly wasn't a dry lubricant.

Aack! HD series? I don't see any "HD" designations on their site. Laguna is stretching my (self-imposed) budget and weight limit.
Minimax doesn't make a 14" saw and their 16" is significantly more expensive (can't find the price right now but it's > $3000, IIRC) and way too heavy (530lbs). That's a non-starter.
On 7/17/2011 12:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Damn! I have a 16" Mini-Max and I bought it brand new for $1500 back in 2002. They sure have bumped the prices since then! I don't think they've ever made a 14" bandsaw.
On 7/17/2011 9:24 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

I bought my Laguna in 2006 IIRC, I paid about $600-$700 less. I bet Ferrari's have gone up too. ;~)
On 7/14/2011 9:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

When I got my planer the segmented head was packed with some god awful grease goop that was almost impossible to get out of every nook and cranny of a segmented 72 tooth head. They could have sprayed the damned thing with Topcote and I wouldn't have needed to spend 4 hours digging out grease. They used a ton of it too, and probably would have been cheaper and easier to use Topcote, or similar item. I nicked a finger doing it as well... I shoulda sued the bastards...
--
Jack
Living is like licking honey off a thorn!

I don't think you're ever to get them to stop using cosmoline on iron that has to make the great crossing from China, lashed to the deck of a ship.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:01:26 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Or one of the dry lubes like Boeshield.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:01:51 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Boeshield isn't really a lubricant. If anything, it does the opposite.
On 7/15/2011 8:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Tell that to Boeshield....
--
Jack
On 7/15/11 7:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It's a paraffin wax. Whether or not that's a lubricant is debatable.
As much as the old timers love to spend all day waxing their tool tops, I would think they'd be flocking to Boeshield.
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:31:29 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

I was using Boeshield in a generic sense to represent spray on dry lubricants because I couldn't remember the name of the specific product I've been using. Guess I should have gone out to the shop and looked before posting :-).

On 7/16/11 12:28 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I can say with certainly that you used Kleenex® to wipe it off. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/15/11 7:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

BTW, I have to call BS on that "opposite" statement. :-)
--

-MIKE-

It leaves my saw table more sticky than without it. Since it lives in an Alabama garage, sticky isn't the worst of the alternatives, however.
On 7/15/11 11:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

T-9? Really? Do you have a Teflon saw table? :-)
--

-MIKE-

T-9 sprayed on and not wiped off before drying remains tacky for a long time.
On 7/16/11 11:18 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Heavy coat instructions say to spray without wiping, which is obviously what you are doing.
I've always followed the instructions for a light coating and wiped after spraying. (insert joke, here) I may try a heavy coat on something like my jointer just to try to duplicate your results.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/16/11 11:18 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I did this to my bandsaw table and you are absolutely correct.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/15/11 11:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

BTW, where are in AL? I get down there on gigs quite often. Would love to meet up in person.
--

-MIKE-