I ordered mine!

Yeah, but Bond was supposed to die and he didn't. So it must be faulty technology. :)
Leon wrote:

I think that was Stinkfinger...
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:37:57 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Very cool! Kudos.

Oh, I thought you were doing this on your own time. Getting paid for it is great, much less of an 'ouch', especially when you solved the problems.

Yabbut, it's a _Crapsman_!
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

You were correct. I wasn't paid for solving those problems, but developing the solutions turned out to be just the learning exercise I needed to be /invited/ to help solve other interesting problems for which people were willing to pay more.

Yeah well, what can I say? I bought it in '73 to make a set of trivets on the RAS for my (now) ex. The trivets came out well enough that the ex packed 'em carefully when she left. The Sears wobbler, at least, still works like new.
I think I'll stop talking now. :-/
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Ah, the double whammy of experience plus a resume builder. Bueno, bwana.

Yeah. <snort>
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
Snip

Come on Larry. ;~) If you use a broad stroke to wipe out Craftsman you will never know that some of their tools are made very well by reputable manufacturers like DeWalt, Bosch, etc.

Made by reputable manufacturer <> good tool.
Sears still controls the specification and the price point.

Leon wrote:

With the Bosch jigsaws they sold the only change that Sears made was to use black plastic instead of blue and change the stickers.
And if you say "plastic gears" you're a buffoon--Bosch jigsaws don't HAVE gears.
Seriously, it costs a lot more to make two different designs than it does to simply rebadge an existing design, so the notion that Sears has Bosch make them special cheapened saws is based in total ignorance of the realities of manufacturing.

On the other hand, this reminds of the Intel Celeron processor--which I believe are those which come out meeting 2nd rate tolerences. Sort of like graded lumber. If you were Bosch, what would you do?

That is ture, however the products in particular that I am referring to probably have Craftsman/Sears input only in color and badging. Sears had a red Bosch 1617EVS router and had a black DeWalt biscuit joiner. Both had Craftsman lables. I highly doubt that more than color was the difference. These were not tools that were designed specifically for Sears so much as simply had a color change for Sears.
Leon wrote:

Now they're doing the same thing with Triton tools.
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:53:02 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

One correction. The correct word should have been "were" reputably made. Anything made pre-1975 was pretty good. After that, I got burned far too badly to ever give them another look or try. Effem!
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

I agree it's clever and useful but IMHO about double the price that it should be. I venture a guess that Rockler will have a knockoff around $30 - $40 down the road.
Vic Baron wrote:

Probably true, and shortly thereafter we may see a Chinese knockoff going for $9.95.
I thought about that before I ordered - and decided that I liked the quality of thought behind the gizmo well enough to reward the inventor for producing what appears to be a good solution to one of my problems.
I suspect everyone's mileage varies on this, but I haven't seen much inventive problem solving coming out of Rockler's shop or, for that matter, from Guangzhou or Shanghai - and I've seen less and less of it in the US (and I'm sure there must be a reason).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

If nothing else, Rockler's (prices for their) gadgets often inspires me to build, myself, what they are trying to sell me. Even when their jigs and such and on sale, they are too expensive for what the are and for how easy they are to build.
I do love when they have a ridonculous sale on knobs and t-bolts.
--

-MIKE-

I completely agree. And I understand about rewarding the inventor. I just laid out almost $200 for a product called MortisePal, even though I have several home made shop mortise jigs. Just thought this one was fast, simple and almost fool proof and so far it has been a breeze to do loose tenon and dowel joints with the router.
Thanks for the drawing.
I hate a.b.p.w... its a personal problem. I use Google reader and so I have to search for the usnet replayer to find the pictures. It's just a hassle, why can't there be a link?
So... if you don't mind, I copied the pdf to a linked location here http://www.sonomaproducts.com/graphics/1257391864.40.pdf

Thanks for the drawing.
You are welcome!
I hate a.b.p.w... its a personal problem. I use Google reader and so I have to search for the usnet replayer to find the pictures. It's just a hassle, why can't there be a link?
I understand, I now use a 3rd party to see what's there myself. I may one day have my own site but it is not on the front burner.
So... if you don't mind, I copied the pdf to a linked location here http://www.sonomaproducts.com/graphics/1257391864.40.pdf
Cool